S3E1: Suzie, Do You Copy?

I cringe at the screech the brakes make when I park at Starcourt Mall. My car I bought only a week ago acts like it wants to quit every time I drive it, but it's still the best thing I've ever bought. I can't wait to shove it in Dustin's face when he gets back from summer camp, like, Haha you little butthead! I finally got that car you've been making fun of me for not having for the past 3 years!

Knowing him he'll make fun of me even more when he sees exactly what I got. It's a hideous shade of yellow, grinds in every gear, one of the windows refuses to roll down, and I can't even list the rest of its problems because there are so many. I guess that's what I get for buying a Yugo. The lemonest (but cheapest) car out there.

I check my reflection in the window of the car, smoothing down the wrinkles in my navy blue and white sailor's uniform I have to wear to work at Scoops Ahoy Ice Cream Parlor.

I head inside and open the shop. It's not a very busy day. It usually isn't in the mornings. Come lunch time the place will be packed, though. That is as long as Steve doesn't scare off anymore girls he tries to flirt with.

"But it sucks," Robin groans, leaning against the counter. Both of us are working the cash register—she takes the money, I scoop the ice cream. "I still say the employees of Scoops Ahoy should be given unlimited free ice cream."

I put some waffle cones in the holders on the counter for display. "But if the company did that for all of their locations, they'd lose money, you know?"

"It's not like they have an army of employees. Look at this location—there's only three of us. There's only so much ice cream you can eat before feeling sick, anyway. So why not choose happy employees over corporate greed?"

"Why doesn't every company choose happy employees over corporate greed?" I ask. "Because they lose very valuable profits. And if they bankrupt, there won't be ice cream, or employees; the workers will go broke and lose their houses and be homeless." I see a familiar head of black wavy hair walking through the mall, coming this way. "Look alive, Robin, we've got customers."

"When do I ever 'look alive'?"

Mike walks into the shop, followed closely by Lucas, Will, and Max. Mike holds Robin's gaze as he dings the bell repeatedly, knowing how much that annoys her.

"Hey, dingus, you and y/n's children are here," Robin calls to the back room.

The window behind us slides open and Steve leans against the divider, an annoyed sigh escaping his lips. "Again? Seriously?"

Mike dings the bell once more.

"All right, okay." I lift the gate and let them into the employees only area.

"Come on, come on." Steve ushers them through the back room and out the back door to the hallway that leads to the theater.

That's what they do—come in through Scoops Ahoy to sneak into the theater to watch movies for free. It was all Dustin's idea, which I don't approve of.

"I swear, if anybody hears about this..." Steve says.

"We're dead!" They all finish in unison.

"If anybody hears about this we're fired," I say, gesturing between me and Steve. I shut the door and we walk back to the counter where Robin is.

"Did your children make it out okay?" She asks, her tone full of mockery. "Nobody fell and skinned their knee did they? Or spill their juice box?"