Consider It Done

V

What am I doing.

The first drops of the rain are cold as it lands on my skin. Soon the thin drops turn heavy, and I'm  soaked within minutes as I stare blankly down the empty streets.

I'd come down here, with no plan at all. I didn't have a way to find her— or what I would even say if I did find her.

I had just wanted to see her so badly.

The rain drips off the pale skin of my face, in rivulets.

I wonder where she is. What she might be doing. If she was somewhere dry and safe— did she have a warm place to sleep? I had no way of knowing.

My eyes squeeze together. The pain is even worse now, in my chest. It has claws.

I'd rather have her here, holding a knife to my throat and cursing at me. I'd rather have that than not knowing where she is.

After that day, the thought of her with other men had haunted me for all my days and nights.

I take a deep breath.

There was no way I was going to find her like this.

And I'm about to turn when I realize the relentless pouring of the rain has stopped. I can't feel it— but how? The rain was pouring harder than it had ever been.

"Are you out of your mind?"

I whip around at the quiet voice.

For a second I can't believe it all.

"Aeri."

"Hold it." She hisses, and I stupidly take the metal handle of the umbrella she shoves into my chest. My eyes are fixed on her— I can't take my eyes off of her.

Was I dreaming?

She throws a sharp glance back at me.

"Follow me. Or are you planning to just stand there until the rain stops?"

I slowly shake my head.

"Then come."

Her voice is full of scorn and distaste. But I've never felt as happy as I do now as she leads me down the street, her fingers clasped tight around my wrist.

I can only see the back of her. She doesn't turn around, and her grip is rough.

But I don't mind in the slightest.

I shift the umbrella over her head, not even minding the cold rain that has started back up against my own skin.

________________________________

AERI

I wonder what he might be thinking right now.

The one-room apartment isn't clean. It probably smells, of the burning coal from the next building. An abandoned factory, with the constant stench of smoke and thick gas.

There's a pile of messy blankets on the floor. A few pairs of clothes.

That's really it.

I can feel his gaze on me as I push open the door. My voice is icy as I silently point towards the cramped bathroom, starting to pull out a towel and the largest clothes I owned.

"Thank you." He whispers, in a soft voice that makes me turn to stare at him as he closes the door behind himself.

My jaw flexes.