chapter thirteen - a true father

i had so many feels writing this, so i hope u guys like it :) thanks for reading. xx

§ Chapter thirteen §

I ran back to my bedroom, tears flying down my face. Dad stormed after me and pounded on my door. I jumped on my bed, crying into the thick white comforter. “Cay, let me in!” he shouted. “Don’t call me that!” I yelled. I ran to the window to see if Harry was still there. His car was still pulling out of the driveway. I banged on the window, hoping he would see me. “Harry! Harry, don’t leave…” I whispered. Dad slammed his fists on the door, harder every time. “If you don’t let me in, I’m kicking the door open!” I scoffed. I sat on my bed and found Harry’s contact. Right when I pushed ‘call’ the door ripped off its hinges and fell to the wood floor. I gulped when I saw Dad panting, holding onto the door frame. I got up and went to the corner of the room, shaking as he approached me. He grabbed hold of my shoulders and shook me furiously. “Cadence? Hello?” Harry’s husky voice called from the phone. Dad took the phone in his hands and groaned. “Is this him?” I nodded. “Harry, help me!” I screamed. Dad threw the phone across the room. It shattered and pieces fell to the floor after hitting the wall. “What’s your problem?” I yelled. “What’s your problem? Your hair, your clothes, just you! You act so different now since you started hanging out with that boy!” The rage in his face terrified me. “Yeah, and I’m so glad! I hated who I was before! I was so scared to do anything because of you! I could never have friends over because you were always so drunk or hung over. You totally ruined my life…” Tears continued to stream down my face, but his facial expression still remained furious. “Cadence?” Harry called worriedly. “Harry, in here!” I screamed. Harry’s footsteps approached closer and he walked over the fallen door. He looked up at Dad with rage. “Get your hands off of her.” Harry snapped, taking Dad’s arms off of my shoulders. I wrapped my hands around Harry’s hips, embracing his warmth. “Who the fuck do you think you are? I’m her father.” “No, a father treats his kids with love. With what I’ve seen, you’re the farthest thing from that.” Harry muttered. I smiled up at him as he wiped the tears from my face. “Let’s go.” Harry said, grabbing my hand and leading me out to his car. He helped me in the driver’s seat. As I got buckled, I saw Dad in my window. He looked out at me with an expression I’d never seen before; a mix of heartbreak and terror. I looked over at Harry and gulped. “Thank you…” I let out. He put his hand on my knee, gently rubbing up and down. “I’d never let anyone treat you like that.” he said, frowning. I smiled and whispered, “I know.”

We pulled up to an old building and went up a few flights of stairs. He led me to one on the second floor. The room was small, but it was perfect. There was an inflatable mattress filled and covered with a blue sheet on the left. On the right, there was the bathroom and kitchen. Harry climbed onto the bed with a sigh. “Join me?” he asked with a smile. I giggled and snuggled up to him. I could feel his warm breath on my neck as he put his arms around my stomach. I pushed my back against his chest, just wanting to feel his touch. I wrapped my arms around his and sighed contently.

I woke up the next morning and smiled at Harry. His curls draped over the sides of his face as he slept soundly. His feet were up on the gates of the window as he lay upside down on the bed. You could see the roofs of other buildings out from the window. The sun lit up the room nicely, making Harry look like an angel. (Picture at the side) I took a shower quickly before he woke up, because I didn’t want him watching me. I stepped out of the clear doors and wrapped a towel around my body. It surprised me that he slept so soundly through it. He groaned loudly and rolled over to face me. “I missed the show?” he asked with a laugh. I smiled down at him. I went over to the dresser and slipped on one of Harry’s gray V-necks and a pair of blue boxers. “You look better in my clothes than I do.” Harry said with a smile. I laughed. “I doubt it.” He stood up and stretched. I was amazed at how large his physique was. He came over to me and kissed me sweetly. I ran my fingers along his soft cheeks, absorbing his pink lips in mine. He walked over to the sink and got his toothbrush ready. I watched his cute face as he rubbed the brush around in his mouth. He finished up and then stared over at me. “What?” he laughed. “You’re staring at me.” I shook my head and went up behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head on his shoulders. “You’re just so perfect.” I whispered. “Oh, Cay,” He turned me around in his arms to hug me fully. “I’m not perfect. Look at your life now because of me. That huge fight with your dad never would’ve happened if it weren’t for me.” “Harry, don’t blame yourself for it. It was my decision! I wanted to leave with you!” He shook his head in disbelief. “Harry,” I whispered, grabbing his chin and turning it to face me. He looked down at me with his green orbs. “You’re my entire life. I don’t care about my dad. You give me all the love I need.” He leaned down and kissed me on the forehead. “I love you so much.” he whispered, putting his chin on the top of my head.

“What am I supposed to do all day?” I asked Harry. He slipped on his white Converse and frowned at me. “I’m sorry, baby. We can’t afford this apartment if one of us doesn’t have a job.” He walked over to me and kissed my lips, holding my whole face with his large hands. “You can go out and see the town. We’re over 45 minutes away from where we used to live. There are new shops and people to meet.” He went to the door and paused. “Just don’t get in any trouble. Call me if you need me.” I nodded, smiling at the fact he was so protective of me.

*Harry*

I got to the store and unlocked everything. It made me so happy that I had found a job at a record store. It was so hard to find new jobs, but I did it for Cadence so it didn’t really matter as long as she was happy. It made me so worried to know that she would be out in the streets. A beautiful girl roaming around with no one there to protect her. I would just feel so much better if I was there, my arm protectively around her waist.