chapter two - his warmth

§ Chapter two §

The next morning I awoke and thought it was a dream. When I saw Harry’s coat on the chair it reminded me that it wasn’t. I really had the perfect night with that boy. The boy who I didn’t even know the day before. I didn’t know if I was ready for the strong feeling of love, but I knew that I liked it. Bella turned in her chair at the computer desk. “How was your date? Tell me all about it!” She ran over and rested on my bed, her chin resting on her palms. “Well…it was perfect. He’s everything I could ask for in a guy.” She laughed. “I know, and he’s gorgeous!” I shoved her playfully. “Well, back off he’s mine. He’s coming over today, too. Neither of us have classes so we’re going to make cupcakes for my dad’s birthday party this afternoon.” “Well, I’m leaving…in case anything happens.” She winked and raised her eyebrows. “Okay, I don’t think so.” I scoffed. She laughed and walked off to the bathroom. I got dressed in a dark purple tank top, jean shorts and black Converse. Harry knocked on the door minutes after Bella left. My heart leapt to my throat when I saw his cheeky smile. He held up a box of vanilla cupcakes with a grin and wide eyes. I welcomed him in and got everything set up. He eyed me up and down. “You look beautiful.” I smiled, feeling hot. “Thanks,” I whispered. We opened everything up and I started mixing things together. Harry tapped my shoulder and I turned to see a spoonful of frosting on a spoon. He smothered it on his mouth and said, “Come and get it.” I laughed and leaned up to kiss his lips, the sweet icing coating my tongue. He pulled my hips into his and rested his strong hands in the small of my back. I put my hands to his cheeks, and then ran my fingers through his curls. We both moaned softly and he pushed me against the fridge, moving his hands up and down my torso. I rubbed the back of his neck as his tongue parted my lips. He let out a deep chuckle when I let mine into his mouth. It made me sad when he let go. We both rubbed our mouths with the back of our hands. I gulped as he was laughing. “Wow,” he said. I giggled. “Where were we?” I turned back to the counter and he came up behind me, putting his strong arms on my waist. He rested his chin on my shoulder, pressing my back to his front. We cradled back and forth for a minute. I giggled softly as his hair tickled my cheeks. I pushed his chest away, amazed at how tense it was. “We’re never going to get this done.” I laughed. “Is that a bad thing?” he whispered into my ear, sending chills down my spine. He smirked. I tried to shake it off and kept stirring the batter. When it was mixed, I put it on the oven. We iced them together and surprisingly he was really good at it. He put little decorations on each one and put them nicely in the pile. We took them down and got in his car. When we made it to my dad’s house, a few cars were already there. My aunt greeted us at the door. My cousins were running around and laughing. “What’s going on?” I asked. “You might just want to sit down.” She led us to the couch. “Where’s my dad?” I asked. She sighed. He ran out to the living room, his shirt on backwards and hair tousled. He held an almost-empty bottle of vodka. “Happy b-birthday to me!” he screamed, slurring over his words. I sighed and buried my head in my hands. I went up to him and grabbed his shoulders. “Get off me!” he yelled. “Dad, I want to help you!” He slapped me away. Tears flooded my eyes as I ran out to the porch. “Cay?” A deep voice called. Harry stood beside me with a sympathetic smile. “Why is he like this? I just want to help him.” I sighed. “He doesn’t even love me.” “Of course he does, Cay! He’s just too out of his mind to know it.” “Exactly,” I sighed. He put his arms around me. “I want to make you feel loved. I feel like nobody else does, and I don’t know why. You’re the most perfect girl I’ve ever met. I know we haven’t known each other very long, but…I like you a lot. I want you to know that.” The way his mouth moved as he talked made me swoon. I blushed and buried my head in the crook of his neck, slowly moving up to his lips. He kissed me gently and ran his fingers across my ears and through my hair. “Oh, what have you done to me?” he whispered, sighing. I chuckled. “You do make me feel loved. I like you, too. Oh, Harry.” I let my tears run down and absorb into his gray V-neck. He lifted up my chin and kissed my cheek. “Come on, let’s get out of here.” He put his arm around me and walked me to his car. We drove off, leaving our once-so-perfect cupcakes smashed on the floor with my father.