Chapter 05: Owe Me A Favor, Will You?

A/N: Will Loki be able to repair his relationship with Lorelei now that he's realized he needs her to solve his problem?

LOKI

GOING TO the clubroom was the first order of my business on campus every morning. Even if I was already late to my class, I wouldn't forget to drop by and check it briefly. It had become a habit of mine since the day I founded the QED Club.

Unfortunately, I was on the verge of losing it to some random club. And the people behind that move wouldn't miss the opportunity to kindly remind me. The day of the deadline was coming, and I had not convinced a single student to join the club. They'd already lowered the threshold, yet I was struggling with it.

Just a minute after I settled down in my swivel chair—which might be the last time—I heard three consecutive hard knocks on the door, as if they're pounding their fists on it. Whoever's on the other side was neither a potential client nor an interested applicant. That left only one possible answer: someone from the student council or the executive committee.

My hunch was proven right when the door swang inward even if I had not told them to come in yet. A female student with black-framed spectacles entered the room. A metal badge with the logo of the school was pinned on her lapel.

"Morning, Maggie," I greeted her with less enthusiasm. I wished I could add "good" to my greeting, but my situation wasn't going the way I wanted. "What brings the execom to my clubroom?"

Her eyes darted around the room as she walked slowly toward me. She frowned when her gaze landed on the Scuala chair on my right. Then she tore her gaze away quickly. "Mukhang wala ka pang nare-recruit kahit isang estudyante, ha? Malapit na ang deadline mo. Maybe you should start packing your things and savor your final moments in this room."

"I still got a few more days," I replied, leaning my back against the chair. "I won't wave the white flag yet. It's not over until it's over."

She stopped in front of the bookshelf and pulled one of the few books there. "The Paranormal Club will probably like this place. They've been eagerly requesting for a clubroom since last week."

My eyebrows knitted. "Are you planning to give this clubroom away to the Paranormal Club? Have you lost your mind? We all know that club is a sham! Have they done anything of significance to deserve this?"

She looked back at me with a shake of her head. "The guidelines for clubroom assignment states that a club must only meet the minimum number of members needed—which is five—to make them eligible. The Paranormal Club has five members. They're qualified to have this place. Unless, of course, you can recruit one legit member to your club."

I clicked my tongue. Giving this clubroom to those buffoons would only add insult to injury. That must be why Maggie came here. To annoy me this early in the morning.