expected surprise

The air felt fresher on the other side, he couldn't explain it

The air felt fresher on the other side, he couldn't explain it. The cool breeze grazing his skin refreshed his senses as it really hit him, he was out. After five years of supervised visits with his family, too-short phone calls and constantly looking over his shoulder.

He was out.

Opie Winston was going home.

And the chorus of bike engines seemed to confirm this as he watched the parade of Harley's and his old truck rumble towards him. The familiar sight of his brothers put a wide smile on his face as he stalked towards them, swiftly bringing Jax into a hug.

"We missed you, man." Jax advised with a smile as he pulled away from his closest friend, slapping his hand on his back.

"I missed you too, brother. And my bike." Opie added with a chuckle before the sound of his truck door slamming closed grabbed his attention. His smile only brightened when he saw his sister running towards him, her brown hair flowing behind her. She slammed into him as she wrapped her arms around him, basically hanging off his large frame and he picked her up and tightened his hold on her.
"You better not have ruined my truck." Opie muttered playfully before placing her back on the ground.

Rowan shoved him away from her as she let out a shocked laugh. "Good to see you too, Ope." Opie simply laughed at her and threw his arm around her shoulders.

"You know I missed you, Rosie." He conceded as the trio walked towards the other club members. 

"It's good to have you back Ope." Clay greeted as they embraced, patting each other on the back.

"Thanks, Clay." Opie nodded. The ritual went on as he also greeted Chibs and Bobby in a similar fashion.

Rowan stood back with a content smile on her face as she watched her brother be truly happy for the first time in five years and she let the relief filter down from her head to her toes as she realised that he'd made it. Everything would be okay now. Jax stood beside her as his fingers itched to touch her, deciding to throw his arm around her shoulders in a friendly embrace instead.

"You happy?" Jax whispered down to her as he watched her growing smile. She glanced up to him and blushed slightly as she realised he had been watching her.

"Very." She grinned, wrapping her arms around Jax's waist. The brief reverie was broken by Opie's boisterous laugh.

"Let's get the hell out of here." Opie called out as he took a look around the oppressive, concrete building in front of him.

Rowan released her hold on Jax's waist and left him with a peck on the cheek as she rushed to overtake her brother who'd already started making his way to the drivers side of the truck. When Opie heard her rushed footsteps he sped up and easily beat her to the door and swiftly got inside.

"I'm driving." Rowan huffed through the open window as she tried to open the drivers door.

"Doesn't look like it." Opie teased as he looked down at her childish pout. "Hurry up or I'm leaving you here."

"You wouldn't dare." Rowan scowled, feet planted in an effort to prove her point. But when Opie merely smiled and started the engine, she quickly raced to the other side and hopped into the passenger seat.
"Let's just hope you didn't forget how to drive." Rowan grumbled.

"I'd still be better than you." Opie retorted as he let two of the bikes go ahead of him and pulled out so they would be sandwiched with two bikes behind them. The six of them threw up their middle fingers towards the concrete hellhole as they finally made the drive away from the building.

The inside of the truck was blanketed in a comfortable silence that was only interrupted by the rumble of the bikes and the quiet, pitchy sounds coming from the broken radio.

"So where's Donna and the kids?" Opie asked the question that had been lingering in his mind since he saw only his sister step out the the car. Not that he wasn't happy to see her.

"There may or may not be something I can't tell you about waiting for you at home." Rowan gleefully advised with a smirk.

Opie huffed out a laugh in relief, and at his sisters inability to hide a surprise.
"Okay, good." He nodded.

"It's going to be okay, Ope." Rowan reassured softly. "It was hard for her but she had everyone's help, I tried to come down most weekends to make sure she had help with the kids. You guys are going to be okay."

"I know."

A/N - I'll probably do one more chapter pre-season one & then jump into the show storyline