The Angel's Sacrifice Ch. 21

Marcie regards us with apparent bewilderment before her eyes go cloudy and she passes out. Jack quickly rushes to her side, checking her pulse to make sure she is still alive then making sure that her bandages are securely in place and not in need of changing.

While Jack does this, I slowly back out of the room staring intently at the two figures before rushing out into the hallway. I'm heedless as to where I'm running, sprinting as fast as I can to get out my energy. Despite my crazed run, my dress does not hinder me or tear as I blaze a path.

My feet finally reach their destination and I collapse on the library floor, silently sobbing. The reality of the night hits me head on. I've made it clear that I'm in love with Jack and thus I have doomed myself to sacrificing myself for him. When or how this will happen I don't know. Could be a year from now, months, days, and I shudder to think it but, hours.

It’s hard to digest it all. Coming to terms with one's death never does the brain any good. Especially when you know that you will die in vain. Jack will be smitten with the other girl, Marcie, in no time. And me, already in love, will sacrifice myself for Jack so that the two will live happily ever after with one another. I laugh, a bitter sound: I bet Jack won't even care.

...

In what I can only assume is hours that pass no one comes. Not even Seth arrives at the library, seeking to comfort me. I feel lost in my emotions and quite alone. The ache for my family is stronger than ever and a piercing headache attacks my brain.

I'm so focused on keeping away the pain that I startle when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up to see the Falling Angel that has done more than kept me company for the past year slowly sit down.

I relish his touch as he puts a comforting arm around me. "What's wrong?" he asks softly.

For the briefest of moments I contemplate telling him the reason for my apparent sorrow. But then I decide against it. How could I put it into words, how to say it so that he understands my fear of losing him? In the end I say, "I miss my parents. I always thought that I would be with them for my 18th birthday. Plus my head isn't feeling too great." The half-truths fly easily from my mouth.

Jack nods, sympathetic of my situation. He's always understood the pain for my loss of parents. Gently he scoops me up into his arms to take me back to my room. He does so quietly, with out saying anything. I enjoy the silence but my thoughts will not leave me. I vow to try my best not to let my doubts about Jack get to me.

...

The two days after Marcie was found is full of rushing around for Jack. He visits her daily-- with or with out me. According to Jack, she hasn't awakened since my first encounter with her. I, personally, have no problem with the situation but I can tell it troubles Jack deeply.

I stare out into the landscape from my room, stroking Seth. I can't help but be worried about the future for more than one reason. First of this Marcie person, but also Lance's presence in the castle has grown more prominent. It's like he's waiting for something, the way he scours the hallways. The few times I've seen him since the ball, there has been an unsettling smirk plastered on his face when he looks at me. Trying to shake that off isn't the easiest task and often I've rushed back into my room after these encounters.

The trees cast long shadows into the forest as the sun further sinks down into the horizon and Seth yawns as the night approaches. I can't help but yawn too as I pick him up and place him in his bed. I'm about to get out my iPad when I hear a faint knock on the doors of my room. "Come in!" I call as I settle myself into a nearby couch.

Expecting Nellie, I'm surprised to find Jack popping his head in, cautiously darting his head from side to side. "May... may I come in?" he inquires quietly as he looks behind him.

Intrigued, I of course tell him to come on in. We haven't had a chance to talk since the night of my birthday. After giving much thought to the whole situation, I had decided earlier this morning that I would let fate takes its course and whatever happened with Jack would happen. I knew that he would go for Marcie and grow to love her more than he loved me. However, I was willing to let him go if he would be happier with someone else. My jealousy and somewhat hatred for Marcie has sense dulled greatly almost to the point of non existence. I return to the present. Jack walks into the room and plops himself down on the other side of the couch. His entrance creates a chilling breeze and I shiver. Jack, watchful as usual, takes off his jacket to give to me. I smile in appreciation as he begins to speak.

"I was just about to check on Marcie-" Jack begins when I interject, "Just like you always do."

Jack gives me a funny look before continuing on, "Yes... Anyway, I saw Lance exit out of her room before I came. He looked pretty suspicious to me."

I raise an eyebrow. "Jack... Why are you coming to me about this? I'm sure Lance was just sneaking about." I have to fight the urge to say "Like he's been doing for the past few days" but then Jack would start worrying more than he needs to.

"No, no-- it's something more. I can feel it," Jack assures me.

I'm about to counter him with a sane reason for Lance being in Marcie's room when the door suddenly bursts open. Lance, dressed in black as per usual, saunters in. A sly expression on his face he asks, "Are you two heading to go check on our little guest any time soon?"

Jack and I exchange a look before Jack slowly stands up and states carefully, "Yeah, we were just heading over there."

The lie is obvious and I can tell Lance sees right through it. But there isn't enough time for more excuses.

"Excellent..." Lance responds, a devious tone taking over his voice.

...

The walk down to the guest room is a stony silent one with not a single whisper of a sound. The boys walk ahead of me, with Jack just barely in the lead. It's hard to not stare at Lance's inky-black wings. After Dad's present, it was easier to see past the veil of thick air that shields Angel's wings. His wings are tattered, obviously not in a position to fly.

I turn my gaze to Jack's wings. The black splotches are not longer splotches. It seems like now its white dots than black. The once full wings are starting to fray.

Suddenly hyper-aware that Jack is almost Fallen, I rush to his side and grab his arm, desperate to be with him.

We all arrive to Marcie's guest bedroom at the same time. Lance stands to the side of the doorway. Jack looks uneasy and moves to stand slightly in front of me, in order to shield me against Lance. The Dawn clicks open the door and we step inside.