The Angel's Sacrifice Ch. 18

~~ Jack's POV ~~

Wiping my sweaty hands on my dark washed jeans, I hesitantly cross through the threshold of Fae's bedroom. The room is exactly to her liking, pieced together from months of watching her. That is, everything except for her space rug. Made from the softest plush, it has a rose pattern, designed to look exactly like the one that I gave her.

As I come closer to the bed where Fae's sleeping form tosses over, I'm torn between leaving and staying. I had come only to check up on her, like I do most nights if I get the chance. Some might find it overwhelmingly strange and vaguely creepy but I can't help but worry about her. She's so fragile and I want to protect her.

But then again, who am I to watch over her? My very existence is a disgrace, a black stain that will never come out of the wedding dress, the large discolored blob on the carpet, the crack in the masterpiece. To make myself whole would mean to destroy the person whom I loved and cherished-- something I thought I could never do again.

Fae mumbles incoherent words in her sleep, bringing me back to the present. She bites down on her lip slightly, making her even more irresistible. In that moment I decide to stay and watch over her rather than brood on my impeding decision that will doom both of us.

Tentively, I come closer to the sleeping figure. Even in sleep Fae looks slightly troubled, an expression that never seems to wear off.

Now only a few feet away from her, I'm about to take just one more step closer when I hear the hiss of Fae's ever present protective cat Seth. He stares me down, searching into my shriveling soul. Fae hasn't caught on yet that Seth is more magical than normal but I feared if I told her that her lovable house cat was really something else, she would flip.

Finished with his search, Seth winds between my legs, making it nearly impossible to move with out stepping on him. This seems only to encourage Seth as he moves faster and faster. In no time at all, I've tripped, sending me falling heavily on Fae's comforter.

Sprawled out on the unoccupied space, I thank everything that comes to mind that I one, haven't woken up Fae and two, didn't fall on her.

I'm about to get up when Fae rolls back over and drapes are arm over my stomach. Eyes wide at this new predicament, I try to shift away from her grasp, secretly hoping that I won't be able to move away.

My silent plea is heard and Fae only tightens her grip on me. Slowly turning onto my side, I face her, taking in the scent of her skin and hair. Heat radiates around her making her skin the perfect temperature. Fae, still in sleep, comes closer and puts her forehead on my chest. Her other hand comes up to my shoulder, loosely clasping it.

Seth's weight adds itself to the bed and I awkwardly turn to look at him. His mouth spreads into a cat version of a smirk before he saunters off to his own resting place. I roll my eyes but smile as I gingerly place a hand of my own on the small of Fae's back bringing her closer to me. I bring my face to meet her hair and inhale the scent of berries.

I feel through my shirt Fae smiling a soft, small smile. I glance down to look on. Her face betrays nothing, still sleeping through out this whole situation. Smiling for the first time in a long while, Fae looks so much more peaceful. I return to my original position, overjoyed that I, a monstrosity, can bring a person to smile subconsciously.

Nestled together, we don't move for I'm sure a very long time. But to me, it feels like a minute or less. I imprint us together this way into a clear memory, something that I can call upon forever. I'm sure that I'll never get a chance like this one again. I make sure to soak up everything. The feel of Fae against my body, the way she looks in sleep, only add to my desire for us to be together for eternity.