The Angel's Sacrifice Ch. 11

I awake, bathed in early morning light. I stretch as I sit up. The room is neat, everything in its place. I sit up farther when I smell waffles. Another quick sweep of the room shows me the blueberry waffles on the desk. Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I stand to walk over to the breakfast platter.

It's a commercial breakfast-- waffles, orange juice, a bit of syrup, and a glass of milk with a knife and fork folded into a napkin. A vase full of morning glory sits by the plate. As I sit down, I notice a little note attached to the flowers.

Dear Fae, 

Grab your library card.

I get excited. Today's the day! The day I finally set my plan in motion. I'll be out of here in no time, I optimistically think. But then again, how true is it? It's not signed. I ponder who wrote it. Obviously, it wasn't written by Jack. Lance perhaps? Lost in thought, I eat my breakfast, wondering when or if I'll finally go to the infamous library.

I startle when I hear water running in the bathroom. Eye brow raised, I put on my robe and walk towards the double doors.

I step onto the tile floors as I peer around the corner. I relax as I see a small, plump lady wearing an apron drawing the bath.

"Excuse me?" I say hesitantly.

The woman snaps to attention. Curtseying, she smiles wide. "Why, hello there, hon! Hope I didn't wake ya. These baths can be such a bother..." the maid says with a slight southern drawl. She putters around the bathroom, adding bubbles here, picking up this or that, and overall just tidying up.

Still slightly confused I say stupidly, "Oh." I blush. Well isn't that just the smartest thing ever?

The lady looks up again and chuckles warmly. "So sorry darlin'! I'm Nellie, your personal maid," her cheerful attitude eases the slight nerves I have. "Just cleaning up things a bit before your bath. You did want a bath, right hon?"

I didn't really think about that this morning but now that I do, a bath sounds pretty darn good. "Sure!" I say, trying to return an equally happy smile. It's difficult because I'm still plagued by the creepy sense of the castle and the horrible haze.

The maid nods in response to my answer, but continues her work. Nellie's hair is a bit of a mess, her red hair in a very loose bun. Her fair skin has a dash of freckles on her slightly pointed nose. She wears a long brown skirt with a (miraculously) clean apron. Her shirt is a refined red work blouse. The shoes that she wears look comfortable, though they look like subtle leather. Not exactly what you would expect the maid to wear. Nellie has an overall appearance of being a business woman cleaning her house before Oprah shows up.

Feeling a bit useless, I turn around back to the main room to finish breakfast.

...

Clean and dressed for the day, I sit on a couch reading one of the many novels that I have at my disposal. I hear a small knock before I hear the click of the main door opening. "Butter biscuits! I thought you left already... Sorry dear. Supposed to not be seen if ya catch my meaning," Nellie says sadly as she waddles in with a basket of laundry.

I instantly feel bad. "No, no! Its okay, really I don't mind. Here, let me help you with that," I say as I jump off the couch to grab the basket.

"Oh, you really are just a doll!" Nellie says as we walk into my closet.

"It's the least I can do after I made you clean up my horrible mess the other night," I say quietly as I hang up my clothes.

"No problem, dear. I have a full staff under me!" Nellie says proudly. This some-what childish proclamation makes me look at Nellie more closely than I had earlier in the morning. Her features tell it all: she's younger than me! 15 years old, I'd say. Really young to be working, I think.