Chapter 2 - Panicked

Chapter 2 – Panicked

After reluctantly being forced yet again to end what I anticipated to be an intimate moment between Will and I, I spent the next few hours down in the dining room with Beth, Jacob, Nan, and a few other snobby looking vampires who were probably related to the royals. I sat there bored out of my brains, having to pretend to be awake and paying attention to what they were dribbling on about.

It bugged me to my very core that every single freaking time Will and I would get one step closer to being together in that way, something would come between us. This wasn’t normal. This had never happened to me before with any other guy. Yet the guy who was meant to be my soul mate couldn’t even attain third base!?

“Did you get that, Miranda darling?” Nan questioned me, breaking me from my aggravated daze. I must have looked like a grumpy little child as I was slumped over the table with my head resting in my hand, my eyes almost closing from boredom. I looked up only to feel about half a dozen intimidating eyes on me, scolding me as if I were just about to admit to murder.

I immediately perked up and sat up straight, self-consciously straightening my hair out. I wasn’t normally this rude but the situation with Will and I was really starting to bug me, and it was affecting my demeanour. It only then just struck me that I was being completely obnoxious and ungrateful, sitting there with a bunch of vampire freaking royals, and that I should probably pull my act together. They were after all, organising this entire ball around me, risking not only my life but also theirs, and quite possibly their entire kingdom.

“Um, yeah Nan, sorry.” I replied politely as I cleared my throat and made brief eye contact with a few of the posh looking vampires, flashing them a gentle forced smile. Although I had no idea what they were on about. I turned to Nan and threw her my puppy dog eyes. I really didn’t want to be there right then. Beth continued on with her little speech, explaining about the exact timing when they’d stop the festivities and introduce me from the top of the balcony.

It also turned out that this ball was an annual tradition to get all of the ‘important’ vampires of society up to speed with the plans for the next year coming up. Announcements such as engagements, weddings, expecting parents, celebrations, graduations, all of the apparently important shenanigans that involved any member of the royal family, were to be spoken about. It was basically for the rich snobs of the society, to make them feel as though they were also important.

I sighed and slumped back down into the chair. This carried on for about another ten minutes, before Beth sent me off to my room to get ready. I couldn’t even believe that in just under an hour, I’d be all dolled up and ready to face a room full of blood thirsty, possibly vicious, unpredictable vampires.

This situation could go either way. I could be attacked and have the life drained from me in an instant, or they could accept me and yet still I think I’d feel suffocated, being the centre of attention, everyone probably going to want a turn at getting to know me. Either way, I was dreading tonight like nothing else.

I refused Beth’s suggestion to accept the assistance of these so called ‘maids’, who I had never seen by the way, to help do my hair and makeup. I didn’t think that I had ever gotten either done professionally before, it was something that I’d much rather perfect myself. I knew I’d feel self-conscious as it was, with all eyes on me, but at least this way I knew what looked good and what didn’t.