C H A P T E R - 4

"Ungalukella yen puriya maatudhu? Ethana dhadava solradhu, NAAN SANA VA KAADHALIKREN" Aryan exasperatedly drenched Rajeswari and Ganga with all his displeased vexation.

Watching them casually having a cup of tea in the lawn was getting Aryan hot under the collar. He couldn't bare looking at their disgustingly non-chalant faces.

"Aryan neenga unga room ku ponga" Rajeswari advised politely.

"Naan poga maaten paati" he shouted resentfully.

When will they ever listen to him? When will they ever consider his thoughts and feelings? When will they ever understand him?

Raging, Ganga furiously pounced off his chair to slap his son, "Yenna sonnangalo, adha sei. Odane un room ku po illa kannathulaye palaar nu onnu veipen".

Aryan didn't step back a foot. He stood there, looking straight into his father's eyes with wild determination. He muttered sternly,  gritting his teeth, "Veinga, onnu yenna pathu veinga. Aana neenga yenna pannalum ennala avala vida mudiyadhu".

Rajeswari who had fearfully got up to stop Ganga, chided him as tears flowed down her cheek, "Yenna aachu ungaluku? Vayasu payan mela kai ongureenga".

Frustrated, Ganga forcefully put down his fisted hand, glowering at Aryan.

"Podhum. Naan erkanave neraya paathuten Ganga. Okkarunga" she whispered raspily, pushing him back to the chair.

Nethra and Anya who had rushed hearing he commotion, exchanged dubious glances from the adjacent portions of the villa.

Sighing heavily, Aryan rubbed his forehead with his fingers. What was he actually supposed to do? He had tried speaking calmly. No use. He had raised his voice. And no use.

*****
"Appa!" Dharma tapped his father's arm with a frown, as Naryanan's breathing visibly and gradually turned shallow under his gaze.

Panicking, Dharma called him again, "Appa!", only to be rewarded with vigorous fits from him.

"Appa yenna aachu pa, yenna pannudhu?" He tightly clasped Naryanan's hand in his.

Dharma's brain bombarded with fear, unable to make choices at all. The constricted feelings grew, as if he was strangled by just the air about him.

Sana came rushing to his room, "Thatha?!"

Naryanan's eyes were almost popping out with reddened corners. His fingers clutched and released the bedspread repeatedly while his breathing continued to die down shortly.

"Ma hospital kootitu polam ma" Dharma advised helplessly and horrified.

Nodding her head quickly, Sana shouted for the servant in dismay, "Karuna!"

"Karuna, ambulance koopdu pa".

*****
Rajeswari gently ran her fingers over the carved creaks of the  hexagonal wooden box. With her mind bursting with a hundred thoughts, she found herself unconsciously pushing open the lid to be greeted by an old torn piece of paper unfolding on itself after it's release from the case.

"Amar?!" Rajeswari plopped down on the floor beside where her son was lying as a curtain of tears rushed down her cheeks. "Chellam? Ezhundiru pa" she shook his body, which felt numb and weak.

Her eyes landed on the piece of crushed paper beside his body. Grabbing it in wild angst, she spread it open to see his round handwriting. For the last time.

"Amma,

             Enakku theriyum neenga en mela romba kovam ah irupinga nu. Aana ungala thaduka enakku vera vazhi therila. Enakku Savitri ya kalyanam pannika konjam kooda virupam illa. Ippo naan poren aana ungakitta onnu sollanum, yenakku neenga na uyir ma.