SAMPLE - Chapter Seven

A FEW HOURS LATER WE ARRIVE IN CALIFORNIA.

The moment I feel the air as we step into the night, I am consumed with euphoria. It's an insane feeling to realize that I get to cross this off my bucket list, traveling to the state of nearly every girls dream.

The warm air blows my hair in the wind, and my face lights up with joy. Holding out my arms, and spinning in circles, I laugh at how unbelievable this is.

I feel enriched, free spirited, every emotion enhanced. I take in this very moment, holding it close, because soon enough it will only be a memory.

A beautiful memory.

The runway is lit up just enough to create the perfect amount of light. Breathing in deeply, I smile to myself. Even the scent here is unlike the smell of the city. It's fresh, rejuvenating.

"Wow," I happily say. "It's beautiful here."

My gaze roams over the mountains in the far distance, beneath the dazzling, starry sky.

Glancing over his shoulder, I spot his Ferrari driving down the ramp from the aircraft. The gentleman whom collected our bags steps out from the driver's side, leaving the door agape.

Mr. Edwards opens the passenger side door, and I climb inside. Watching him through the windshield, he exchanges several words with his men, shaking their hands.

We drive down winding roads for what feels like eternity. Gazing out the opened window, the warm breeze brushes against my skin, and my hair flows freely with the wind.

Arriving at the onset of a driveway, I am blown away. The most beautiful house I've ever seen is right before my eyes. A mansion, to be exact. I am disoriented, entirely speechless. Palm trees are in the front yard in every direction, and there are tall, black lights that enhance the entrance.

We come to an abrupt stop at the top of the hill.

"This is your house?"

"It is," he replies.

Pushing open my door, I rush to my feet, gazing up at the mansion before me in astonishment. Taking in every unique and beautiful detail, a burst of energy overtakes me.

Jaxon closes the door for me, and I quickly turn to face him. Before I can even think it through, I link my arms around him, and rest my face in the crook of his neck.

Smiling ear to ear and bursting into laughter like a little girl, I am enthralled. This is better than I ever could have imagined.

He becomes still, arms motionless by his sides. This is not the reaction I was expecting. Drawing back my head, I look in his eyes, and the strangest feeling settles in the pit of my stomach.

Butterflies.

Stepping back, I sheepishly frown. "Sorry," I whisper.

Right as I turn away, his grabs my wrist and pulls me back into his chest. My heart hammers from our close proximity.

"Don't be," he murmurs.

~

The walls open before me. There's a wide entrance, and a glass chandelier hanging from the tall, gorgeously sculptured ceiling. My heels echo with each step on the polished hardwood floor. I take in the exceptional architecture, the luxurious décor.

A wave of adrenaline comes over me, like the onset of a hurricane. This is far more elegant than I ever would have thought possible. Mr. Edwards strides in a moment later, placing our luggage near the front door.