SAMPLE - Chapter Four

AS I STARE DOWN AT THE CONTRACT BEFORE ME, I try desperately to look untouched with what I have read. What do I say? Slowly lifting my head, our eyes meet.

Something inside me instantly changes.

I've never felt more alive. It's as if every neuron in my brain is erupting. Instead of feeling numb, I feel rejuvenated.

"Do you have any questions?"

"Okay," I blurt out.

"Okay?"

"Yes, Mr. Edwards. I'll do it."

He begins to stand. "I'll get a pen."

"Wait," I rush out, and he stills. "Not yet. I don't want to sign anything until I see where I'll be staying, and I want to know you for more than just an hour."

He appears amused with my regulations.

"After all, this is all about trust. Isn't it?"

He nods, impressed. "Trust is highly important."

"Good. So, you understand."

"I understand completely." He rests his ankle over his knee, spreading an arm over the head of the couch. "There is no rush for this. I want nothing more than for you to feel comfortable."

"There's one thing I'm not okay with."

"That's fine. We can go over the entire length of the contract whenever you're ready. We'll need to discuss hard limits, soft limits, and boundaries. It would be best to discuss what you are and are not comfortable with, especially since this is a first for you. As I've said before, this is consensual."

Placing the papers on the table, I nod. "I need to get this out of the way now, Mr. Edwards."

Reaching forward, he delicately folds up the contract, and secures it into the pocket of his suit.

When his eyes meet mine, I weakly grin.

"Yes?" he encourages, smiling. "You were saying?"

Those straight, pearly whites are on perfect display, the worst distraction. I anxiously blink at him, trying to collect my thoughts.

"I usually don't kiss."

His brows furrow, and his smile fades. "You don't kiss?"

"I don't," I firmly state, setting our first boundary. "I don't like mixing business with personal life, if that makes any sense."

Smirking, he rubs his fingers along his jaw. "Are you implying that you're not dying to kiss me, Ms. Pierce?"

My gaze wanders to his lips. Those full, plush lips. I stare at them, my stomach turning over.

Well, I'm not so sure.

"Breakfast." Mr. Edwards stands, adjusting his collar. "I'm assuming you must be hungry."

"Starving," I admit.

"Great, as am I." He grins, and I make my way to the door where he's waiting, slipping into my heels. "There's this great little café downtown I'd like to take you to."

"Which one?"

"Sasha?"

As I lift my head, his eyes burn into mine. They hold so much mystery I'm left spellbound. He's quiet, making me wait.

I can hardly bare it.

"Yes?" I softly ask.

"I don't kiss, either, for the same reason."