Chapter 40

I really didn't want to leave Luna where she was with her mother. But the equally vicious death rays they both were giving each other told me that I really didn't want to be here. This scene wasn't exactly my forte anyways, the mother didn't like me, but the daughter did and that always meant endless debate back and forth. Who was I to stand here and watch one of them build me up while the other tears me down? I would be any other person but Cole. So I grabbed my stuff and nodded to Luna as I made my way out. But before I was completely out of the way I told her to message me.

 She didn't seem to happy about my leaving, but she didn't make a move to make me stay. By the time I was down the hall from her room I could hear the argument starting off, and by the sound of it, it was going to be an emotional one. It sort of made me feel like a bad boyfriend, considering I just left her alone to fight with her mother, but this was something that they both needed to work out. It just wasn't my place.

 Starting my car and maneuvering my way around Mrs.Rain's car I set out to find something to eat on while I tried to find a new place to stay. As I drove down the streets in the center of the city I realized that I really had a taste for pizza. I highly doubted that I was going to eat one of those giant pizza's all by myself, so I decided to get one of those mini ones. They only cost about five bucks and they were filling especially when you chase it with a drink.  

      I parked my car on the curb at the side of the pizza joint. The sun was starting to set so it was starting to get dark out. I dared to look at myself in the mirror, the swelling had started to go down some thankfully, so now at least I didn't look like that much of a cave man. I still frowned at my reflection, this couldn't go on anymore. I grabbed my folder out of the glove compartment and opened the door and got out. Walking onto the sidewalk I was about to make my way around the corner and into the pizza place but something stopped me.

 My ears had picked up on a familiar voice, I turned towards it and walked. When the voice grew louder I peeked around the corner to see if my suspicions were correct. A head of blond hair shook back and forth while disagreeing with the person they were on the phone with. They whisper-yelled into the phone. "...no that isn't what we agreed on and you know it, you said that you would deal with that problem...but you didn't do that either." She remained quiet after that, nodding her head even though the person she was on the phone with couldn't see her. So she would occasionally answer with a 'Mmmm' or an 'yeah' here and there.

 Just when I thought about intervening she broke out again. "You promised me that I could have him...you said." She sighed running her hand through her hair. "Oh forget what you said, I can't rely on you for anything. Call me back when you grow a pair." She ended the call aggressively.

 As I caught the end of that sentence, I tried not to look like a creep. When she turned around though she about jumped out of her skin. "Whoa, Cole when did you get there?"

 "That's not all that important, who were you on the phone with Avery?" I gestured to her phone as she slid it into her back pocket and began to walk out of the ally.

 She turned around to face me and said. "That doesn't really matter, are you about to head in to eat?" When I nodded she said. "I'll join you."        

 I put my hands in my front pockets and started to walk to the front inside. "Alright, do you want to share a medium or a large?"

 I was sure she'd say to get a large, whenever we'd usually go out to get pizza all those times before she'd usually go for that. Then we'd stay in and talk for hours about stupid things, mostly aliens and the latest movies. As we walked through the front door the bell on the door chimed then stopped.

 "You know how this goes, we get a large pizza then take up one of the booths by the windows." Her arms stretch over her head and she arched her back, then she leaned from side to side as if she was getting ready for a marathon. "I'm guessing your going to want to sit in one with the less light. Because those marks on you aren't pretty."

 I smirked. "Doesn't really matter to me, if we sit in a dark corner you wouldn't be able to show off that outfit of yours." All I knew was that it was pretty.

 She lowered her arms and gave me a look. "The world may be lost for a few hours." She shrugged.

 He ordered the pizza and split the payment then found a booth to sit at. Avery looked like she was dressed for a date, but from the way she was talking to the person on the phone I'm guessing that that is over. "So what was that call about? You seemed pretty pissed about it."

 "So you were eavesdropping!" She pointed an accusing finger at me.

 I shrugged. "Sue me. So what was it about?"

 "I was just arguing with a big headed idiot, hardly anything to talk about."

 I crossed my arms and leaned on them on the table. "Well maybe I could help, what was it  about?"

 "Why don't you just leave it alone, it's not really your business in the first place." She said lightly annoyed, I let my eyes wander at that.

 After that it got real silent as we waited for our food and I watched Avery nurse on her drink. I found myself wondering how Luna was doing against her mother, maybe I shouldn't have left so quickly. If things got heated then what would I be able to do? Stick up for Luna and make myself an ever bigger pain in the ass for her mother? I pushed that thought out of my mind and told myself that Luna could handle herself.

 I sipped on my water and watched as one of the servers walked our direction with the pizza. My stomach started to grumble before I even caught a whiff of it, I hadn't noticed how hungry I was until that lady sat down that pizza. I put about four slices on my plate and grabbed myself a few napkins before I tore into it all.

 Looked like Avery wasn't playing around either, she wasn't one to pick at her plate. She was up there with the best of them when it came to eating. Usually she would start off with two slices and go from there but these slices were bigger than normal so she just started off with one. She slapped on her extra stuff that she liked and got down and dirty.

 A moan of pure pleasure escaped our mouths at the same time. "So good..."

 I nodded at Avery's comment because my mouth was too full to talk. After that things got smoother, it got easier to talk and we ended up cracking each other up.

 "...Don't tell anybody that I said that, if you do then I'm going to come after you." She pointed at me accusingly with the crust of her bread.

 I hit her crust with my crust and laughed. "Wouldn't want to face the wrath of Avery, now would I?"

 She started to pretend that her crust was a sword, then we fell into battle. Our 'swords' swinging at each other, meanwhile I was the one making all the sound effects. She bested me as I was caught off guard by trying to stick another slice of pizza in my mouth.

 Dramatically she said. "You were defeated in battle, all because of pizza." She tried not to smile, to keep a serious face. "You were never....A worrier."

 I looked at her with a serious face, then said. "Are you going to eat that?"

 My answer was a piece of crust to the face, it fell ungracefully on the floor. As I picked it up I heard the buzzing of a phone. The buzzing didn't belong to my phone but Avery's. I read the name upside down and noticed that it said Kevin, with a picture of them two all over each other. I notice that she was quick to end the call before even answering it. So that just left me with one question.

 What was Avery doing talking to Kevin?