Chapter Two

I have to pee.
     I don't want to run into Mason in the hallway again. I wish he would just go home. Mason and Gavin practically live together. He is either always here for days, or Gavin is always there for days. Lately though, Mason has been insisting to be here. He says it's because his parents are constantly fighting, but I don't know if I really believe that. He's been at my house for three days now and I want, I need, him to go home. My parents always take Mason under their wing and treat him as another child.
     "Good morning Devin." My mother says as she peeks her head into my room.
     I flip over to my back and smile. I stretch my arms up above my head, "Morning mom."
     "Your father and I wont be home til' later tonight. Money for dinner is on the counter. Love you." She says.
     "Love you too." I shake my head.
     I pull my blanket over my head and lay in bed until my last alarm goes off. When it does go off I stand and walk to my closet.
     I feel like wearing more comfortable wear but I put on my last option for that last night. I drag myself to my door and poke my head down the hallway towards Gavin's room, looking for any sign of Mason. Nothing.
Oh thank God.
     I sneak into Gavin's room and go through his dresser drawers looking for something to wear. I pull out a pair of navy blue sweatpants and find a maroon Harry Potter shirt. I throw them over my shoulder and head for the bathroom.
   I open the closet door and pull out a clean towel and set the clothes on the sink counter. I turn the water on and wait for it to reach the warm temperature I want it at and climb in. I let the water beat down on my back before I wash my hair.
     A knock sounds at the door. "Hey Dev?" Gavin hollers from outside the door.
     "Gavin?" I ask.
     "Yea. Uh I was just wondering if you'd be okay by yourself while I go out with Stella for a bit." He says.
     "Oh, uh, yea I'll be fine. Tell Stella hi for me!" I say.
     "Okay see you later." He says, and walks away.
     I rinse the soap from my hair and step out of the shower. I wrap my hair in the towel and get dressed. I wipe the foggy mirror with my hand and glob toothpaste onto my toothbrush and brush my teeth. I unwrap my hair and brush it, parting it down the middle.
     Once I'm done in the bathroom I go downstairs and turn the speaker on that sits on the window sill above the sink in the kitchen. I put bread into the toaster and wait for it to pop. I grab both pieces of toast when they're done and spread peanut butter on them. I sway my hips back and forth using a butter knife, full of peanut butter, as a microphone.
     "Nice moves." A males voice says from behind me, chuckling.
Oh no, no, no. Please don't let that be Mason.
     I set the knife down slowly and turn around. Mason is leaning against the archway of the kitchen smiling at me. I lean over the sink and turn the speaker off.
     "What are you doing here Mason?" I ask, annoyed.
     "I was just seeing if your brother was around."
     "Well he isn't. He's with Stella." I say matter of factly.
     "Oh." He says disappointed.
He was just here last night. Which means he was here this morning. Which means he knew Gavin went to see Stella.
     "What's the real reason you're here Mason?" I ask.
     He sighs. "I wanted to apologize for last night."
     "No need for that." I turn back around and continue to spread peanut butter onto my toast.
     "I feel like a dick head for it though, Devin."
     I shrug, "As you should."
     I lick the left over peanut butter off the knife and turn around. His arm wraps my waist and pulls me into him, kissing me. His tongue slides in between my lips and pulls peanut butter from my tongue. My arms fall limp at my sides and allow him to kiss me. He pulls away from me and wipes peanut butter from my bottom lip with his thumb and licks it.
     "I'm sorry." He says.
     I push him by his shoulders away from me. "You think a kiss is going to apologize for a kiss. That's not how that works Mason!" I say, aggravation flows through my sentence.
     "I know. Im sorry." He whispers.
     "Get out." I say looking at my feet.
     "Devin please-" He says.
     "Mason, please just get out. Please." I beg him, now looking up at him.
     "I cant. I cant just leave." 
     "You can. You need to."
     "I know you think last night meant nothing to me, but it meant everything to me Devin."
     "No. Stop trying to make yourself believe that."
     "Devin." He takes a step toward me. "I do want you. You have no idea. But your my best friends little sister. I cant do that to him, and I can't do that to you." He says, his eyes now filled with apology.
     A lump grows in my throat and I try to say something.
"I-" I breath.
Mason takes another step towards me, and another, and another until my head rests in his hand.
Our foreheads are now touching, our breaths are now touching, our skin is now touching, our lips are now touching.
He tastes like peanut butter now.
He pulls his lips from mine. "You still taste like peanut butter." He says.
We share a smile and our lips meet again. He walks me backwards until my back meets with the counter. My back almost touches the top of the counter and my neck strains as I try to hold my head up.
Our breaths are fighting for dominance, our lips are fighting for dominance, our tongues are fighting for dominance.
"We should stop." I breath.
"Yea, we should." He breaths.
We continue to breath against one another until the sound of a car door shuts. We pull away from one another and freeze. Our breaths still on one another's.
Shit.
"Gavin." I say, pushing Mason off of me and turning back around to tend to my toast.
Mason leans against the island in the center of the kitchen and folds his arm across his chest. When the front door opens he turns his head and tilts it up at Gavin.
"What's up man. Thought you went home." Gavin says.
"Uh yea. I did, but I think I left my charger here." Mason says.
"Oh okay." Gavin's about to walk past us to the stairs when he stops to look at Mason. "You uh, have a little somthin' there." He points to the corner of his own mouth.
"Oh yea, peanut butter." Mason says.
I cant help but laugh at myself. I cant help but laugh at the fact that my brothers best friend was just passionately kissing me and he has absolutely no idea. No idea at all.
When Gavin is no where in eye sight Mason steals another kiss from me. "I like my clothes on you." He grins.
I look down at the clothes I'm wearing and remember that whats Gavin's is Mason's and whats Mason's is Gavin's.
Of course it's his.
He steals another kiss from me, this time for longer. "I have to go now." He says.
He walks to the front door, leaving me in the kitchen, alone.