Prison Walls (Pt.4)

Nathaniel was not sure how or when but he was soon asleep again enjoying a sublime dream. When he came too he was lying across the foot of Eira's bed and she was nowhere to be seen. He stood up and walked across the room. A note was left on the table saying she had to go out and he would not wake up so she had left him sleeping. He was very dazed and still quite tired as he slowly woke up and left the house. Wondering what time it was, he looked up into the sky to horrifically see that the sun was reaching its peak. It would soon be noon. He looked around him to get his bearings and then ran through the streets towards the hill. He flew round corners and down alleys and then struggled as he charged on up the hill toward the senate. It was a struggle but he finally made it to the foot of the senate steps, not feeling too out of breath. He had made good time in fact, which was probably again down to the powers of his pendant.

He walked up the steps, with his breath recovered, though still a little hot from his run. Waiting at the top by the entrance was Ogwyn and another man who wore a long dark coat with a fur trim. This must have been Ogwyn's friend in the ministry. They said no word as he approached but led him inside. Silently he followed them round the corridor and to the rear of the senate. The corridor circled the minister's arena. It was like a huge amphitheatre with a large podium for the chancellor and his viceroys. They led on, through a doorway where inside chancellor Lydan was sat behind an ostentatious marble desk. "Ah, this is the guardsman," he said as they entered, "Please take a seat and begin your story." Nathaniel took a seat right in front of the desk and Ogwyn and the minister sat at the back of the room. "Most of what I am about to tell you, you will not believe. I must assure you that I am sound of mind before I begin."

Nathaniel then began, explaining how the patrol was ambushed by goblins. He tried to stress the abnormality of the situation. How the goblins had never shown such organisation before and that something else must be guiding them. He then moved on to explain about Torstein and what he had shown him in the Red Pass, the large army that was building and the dark elves at its head. He stressed the importance of preparing the city for the attack and mentioned that there were ways to do so, built into the city but long since forgotten about. The chancellor seemed to be taking it all in but showed no emotion or expression and Nathaniel was worried that he was not truly listening and did not believe a word he was saying.

When he was finished telling the tale the Chancellor looked deep into his eyes, as if he was trying to catch him out. He looked like he thought Nathaniel was wasting his time with some wild tale of mythical creatures. "You were right," he said at last. "I believe very little of your tale. I do not know how you came to survive the ambush but you have returned to us now and that is good. This army however I cannot believe. The commander of the guard spoke to me days ago and sent a patrol that way. He said they found nothing." Said Lydan bluntly. Nathaniel was shocked beyond words. It had all been a waste of time. The chancellor had already made up his mind and all Nathaniel could do now was leave as he was ushered out by a guard.

He was in a furious mood as he walked back down the hill and to his room. He was in a terrible rage. The ministers had all knowingly sent the city to its doom but were too stubborn and blind to the world to even know they had done it. He had to get back to Torstein as soon as possible. He was the only person now who could help. Only Torstein had the wisdom to guide Nathaniel toward the right path and stand any chance of saving his beloved city. He ran down the stairs of the tower to the armoury to pick up his sword and armour. Then he continued to descend to the stables where he saddled a midnight black horse. It was a magnificent horse and he knew it was the fastest the guards had and so he mounted up. At that moment Martyn came in and held the bridle in a tight grip. "Where are you going?" he asked forcefully,
"I must see Torstein, he is the only one who can help now."
"Come back to the real world Nathaniel,"
"Get out of my way Martyn," he replied getting angrier,
"If you will abandon us all for your fantasies then go, but do not expect to find friends here if you return." There was spite in Martyn's voice as he spat the words out. Nathaniel kicked back into his horse and sped out into the streets. The horse galloped hard through the streets and out the front gate, nearly knocking over innocent bystanders.