An Awakening (Pt.1)

​​The room was spinning and there was a burning sensation in his chest as he came to. As the panic wore off, the spinning settled down and the burn dissipated, he lay still for a moment still feeling dazed. He had no clue where he was or any memory of how he had got there. As his senses returned to him, Nathaniel realised his chest was bare. Then there was the sudden realisation that his medallion was missing. His hands began to frantically feel for it around his neck, as if it was miraculously going to reappear. Nathaniel shot up to his feet and then felt quite dizzy for a brief moment. His legs felt weak, as if he had not exercised the muscles in them for a long while. As he found his balance he made his way over to the window across from him. He was in some strange house, more of a thatched hut he thought as he examined his surroundings. When he reached the window, rain was pelting down hard against it, sounding more like hailstones. There was no sign of anyone else either inside or out.

In the distance there was a loud rumble of thunder sounding as if it was coming closer. Next there was a blinding flash of lightning, accompanied by a catastrophic boom of thunder, just in front of where he stood by the window. Nathaniel shielded his eyes from the light as they were still overly sensitive to it. When he took his hand away it was shining bright and beautiful sunshine and there was no evidence to be found of the thunderstorm. As his mind spiralled into confusion the door swung open behind him followed by a friendly but stern voice, "Ah you're awake at last." Nathaniel spun round on the spot to find an old man with a beard, dressed in odd robes, stood in the doorway. They were forest green with a yellow trim and almost tatty as they came below the knee, though his boots were brown and must have come up to his knees. The robe was hooded and also had a fur cape attached fully onto the shoulders, and round his waist was a peculiar looking belt with a large metal clasp.

His mind was now even more confused and he had no clue what to make of anything, "Who are you?" he asked, followed by a flow of further questions, "Where am I? How did I get here? What's happening?" He then put his hands to his head, as he felt a headache building behind his eyes. "All very good questions," the old man replied, shutting the door and walking over to the fire that was burning in the hearth. "I am Torstein and you are in my house," he added, extending his hands to warm in the flames. "The rest is quite a long story, perhaps you should sit down." He said with concern in his tone. Nathaniel walked over to a wooden stool and lowered himself onto it, ever watching his strange host. "Tell me what you last remember," the old man asked. Nathaniel had to think back hard. He could picture himself atop the broken watchtower overlooking the forest but for some reason it was hard remembering anything else. He then became weirdly angry. Not at anyone or anything, just inexplicably angry. "Take your time," added the old man calmly and Nathaniel calmed himself taking a deep breath. "I have some recollection of patrolling the forest,"
"That's good, anything more?" the old man asked. Nathaniel had to concentrate hard and closed his eyes.

Small flashes of memory came back to him. Disturbing images of the onslaught and then the dark figure on the venbeast. He then found himself sweating and panting again. "It was a dark elf," said the old man, as if Nathaniel had asked the question. Words struggled to come out of his mouth as he sat confused by what was going on. "A lucky escape you had. Luckier still that you found yourself at my door," exclaimed the strange man. Nathaniel had no clue what to say or do until he suddenly remembered his medallion. "Where is my medallion?" he asked with a panicked voice. The old man stood up and walked over to a table where he picked up Nathaniel's medallion. "Where did you get that?" he asked curiously,
"My mother gave it to me, before she died," replied Nathaniel with a sombre tone.

As the old man's hand extended it towards him Nathaniel snatched his medallion and fastened it back around his neck. "Do you know what that is?" the old man probed. Nathaniel looked at him with a confused expression. To him it was just an heirloom that his mother had given him and for that reason it was precious. To anyone else it would just be an item of jewellery. The old man did not wait for a reply before he continued speaking. "It is an elven knot pendant and it probably saved your life." He then stared at Nathaniel as if he was letting the information sink in.
"What do you mean?" asked Nathaniel, still completely lost.
"Do you ever feel somehow lucky, blessed even? Capable of things greater than the capacity of a man?" Again Nathaniel did not know what to say and stared back at the man blankly. "That pendant holds a power, it protects the wearer from harm. When that dark elf attacked you with his enchanted bow you should have been incinerated. The pendent stopped that but it was my healing efforts that truly saved you." He concluded with a slight smugness present in his voice.

Holding the pendant in his hand, Nathaniel examined it curiously. All this talk of elves and dark elves was confusing him the more he thought about it. "I don't have a clue what you are talking about, old man, I must return to the city." The old man stood up and walked over to the table again. Behind it was his armour and sword and he followed the old man over. Nathaniel took the sword in hand holding the shining blade up to the light. As he twisted round he caught a sudden glimpse of his reflection and was shocked. He turned it back to look at himself and could not believe what was before his eyes. His dark brown hair had grown long and his beard had grown out and was shaggy. He had never grown a beard before and did not recognise his face. Only his clear blue eyes remained the same and they looked tired as they stared back at him. "How long have I been here?" he asked with worry in his voice.
"A few weeks now, it must be." Replied the old man.

A look of utter astonishment spread across Nathaniel's face and he found himself having to sit back down on the stool. "This is no light matter Nathaniel. Regain your strength then there is something I must show you." The old man's voice was now very severe. There was something compelling about him though. Perhaps he was speaking like a mad man talking about elves but, ignoring his outward appearance, there was nothing mad about him. He portrayed an image of wisdom and austerity. Perhaps if Nathaniel followed him to see what he had to show, he would see some truth behind the man's words. Whatever truth it was would soon come to light.

He gripped the pendant in his hand and with his eyes closed, took several deep breaths. He felt his strength slowly return to him each time he exhaled. Just then he remembered what the old man had said, about its power. He could then somehow feel the energy pouring into him from the pendant. When he opened his eyes the old man was smiling. "At least you have learnt one thing," he said with a sly chuckle. Nathaniel then stood up with his strength renewed. The man was right about his medallion. Looking back, the leap at the tower was a far greater distance than a man could normally achieve and he must have run from the venbeast with incredible speed to escape it, also not likely capable of a man. Perhaps he was right about the other things too. Perhaps these creatures of legend were not as unreal as he thought. If that creature, the dark elf, had somehow led the goblins, it would explain the sudden organisation that they were displaying. Nathaniel had also never seen a weapon that could throw fire with such force and speed. He now had doubt in his mind and so many questions that needed answers.

After Nathaniel had dressed himself back into his armour the old man disappeared back through the door, leaving it wide open. Nathaniel took the initiative to follow him outside. Around the hut was a beautiful garden, teeming with all varieties of beautiful flowers and luscious plants. There were also vegetables, herbs and fruits. The garden was circular and surrounded by a dry-stone wall, which had been made entirely from a hard white rock, similar in look to chalk. Nathaniel looked about in amazement at the beauty of this little garden, hidden away in a small clearing in the forest. It was like a haven of life surrounded by the ominous overshadowed woods.

The old man then returned from around the hut, leading two horses by the reins. "My horse," exclaimed Nathaniel with a broad smile, "Where did you find him?" he asked, taking the reins from the old man. "After I found you I went to look around. I then found the bodies of your friends and seeing one horse there it made sense that there would be more. He came to me not long after that." He finished, having not properly answered Nathaniel's question. He did not care however. The old man was very mysterious and Nathaniel did not have the effort inside of him to question him further on the matter. He stroked his horse's dark brown main and the horse bowed his head down as he did so.

The old man had disappeared again without Nathaniel noticing until he came out of the house with two packs in hand. It looked like they had a long ride ahead, judging by the weight and feel of the pack that he was handed. He secured it to his horse behind the saddle and then mounted up. Somehow the old man was already in his saddle and ready to leave. Without any words he kicked his horse into motion once he saw that Nathaniel was ready. At first they moved at a slow trot through the trees, along a small winding path. The path soon joined a larger track and the old man brought his horse to a gallop. Nathaniel had not been ready for this and was delayed catching him up. For his age he rode exceptionally well and very fast. When he had caught up he questioned the old man about their destination. "Into the Harbald mountains," he replied, "To the Red Pass."