Prison Walls (Pt.3)

With nothing else to do until the following day Nathaniel found himself walking the streets back toward the tavern, without having previously thought where he was going. He was compelled to visit Eira, whether or not he had free will in the matter, he was going regardless. It was almost as if she had enchanted him somehow and now he was unable to leave her for long periods of time. Perhaps he was just truly bored and in need of the company, but her presence made him feel comfortable.

He swung the door open and stepped inside, where the air was a little stuffy. It was mostly deserted inside and there stood behind the counter was Eira, wiping tankards dry with a cloth. She looked up as he entered and when she saw that it was Nathaniel, a wide smile split her face and happiness poured out of it. He managed to return a more casual smile and took a place at the counter. "That was quick," she joked, maintaining her beaming smile, "Could you not bear to be away?" she added teasingly,
"My message has arrived, I have until tomorrow free," he replied, still managing to appear casual even though inside he was questioning himself. "Let me finish up here, then I'll come sit with you," and then she gave him one final smile before twirling around to continue cleaning. Nathaniel walked away to a quiet spot and made himself comfortable as he waited.

Although he wanted her to have been finished there and then, he did his best not to let it show and instead pretended to be daydreaming as he stared out of the window. At last she came over and sat down opposite him at the table he had chosen and looked up into his eyes with her crystal blue gems of eyes. At that moment he knew that he had to be honest with her. They had not spent much time together but already he felt he could trust her and share with her the things that troubled him. She gave the impression to him that she cared and wanted to help, even without actually saying anything. "Eira," he began softly, "Do you think that I am insane?" She looked at him a little funny, as if the question itself was a little insane. "No Nathaniel, of course not. Do you feel insane?" she mused in reply.
"No, but sometimes the people around me make me feel it," he added solemnly.

She touched his hand gently and somehow managed to look deeper into his eyes. Her eyes were enchantingly beautiful and bright, yet surprisingly deep themselves. He could easily have lost himself in them. "What is troubling you?" she asked affectionately. Nathaniel sighed and his heartbeat began to pick up. This would be the moment that decided what future his friendship with Eira held. "The reason I am off duty is because I am the sole survivor from my patrol. We were ambushed by goblins, but it is not that which troubles me," he began, telling anew the story which had passed his lips so often these last few days. He explained who Ogwyn truly was and how he had been helping him.

Not once, as he told his tale, did she mock or laugh at him and when it was done she was actually speechless. "I am not surprised no one has believed you," she began, and Nathaniel expected her to then do the same and call him mad. The fear built up in him as he waited for her to continue, expecting the worst and never seeing her again. "Perhaps if I did not know you then I would feel the same," she said finally, but still Nathaniel was unsure how she felt. "You are a noble and honourable man and I do not think you are mad, though I may need some proof before I can put all my courage in you," she finished, smiling again. Nathaniel thought for a second and then came up with an idea. His pendant had given him enhanced abilities before and so he could use it to prove the truth to her.

He took her outside, leading her by the hand and looked for some sort of obstacle. As he turned around he saw the perfect thing gently dangling before him. The sign for the Drunken Giant was far too high for a man to jump from the ground and reach but Nathaniel had faith in his pendant. "There," he said pointing to the sign, "there is no way I can jump and reach your sign," he finished. Eira looked confused and could only chuckle at him and shake her head in reply. Nathaniel stood directly beneath holding his pendant tight in his hand. Then he looked up and crouched low to the ground. Without further thought he leapt upwards and sprang up toward the sign with his arms extended, grabbing it at about the middle. Whilst he was carrying his momentum he swung upwards and flipped round so that he was stood on top of it. He then jumped again and grabbed the eve of the roof and then swung again to be stood directly on top of the roof apex.

Nathaniel looked down and Eira was utterly stunned, her mouth wide open. He then dropped down from the full height of the building and as he jumped Eira covered her face in her hands, thinking he would break his legs from the fall. He landed silently and gracefully on the ground beside her without even a scratch or bruise on him. "Is that proof enough or do you need something else?" he asked, immensely proud of himself. She shook her head and smiled, then out of nowhere grabbed him, holding him tightly. Nathaniel returned her hug, holding her firmly in his arms. He felt her body relax as he did so and it brought a smile to his face. She had believed him and not taken the view of the others that he was mad. Perhaps it would not be as difficult as he imagined convincing Lydan of the truth in his story. Perhaps the city still had a chance to face the coming army and survive. The only thing that worried Nathaniel was that Torstein had said far darker things were coming.

Nathaniel stayed with Eira until she began working, when the first of the night's drinkers came in. When he left she gave him another kiss on the cheek, but this time she held his hand before he walked away and looked deep into his eyes again. He walked back to his tower once again thinking of nothing else. As he stood in his doorway he looked at his room solemnly. He had returned to his prison of boredom to wait until noon the next day. He sat on his bed with his back against the wall and his legs off the side and took off his pendant. He looked at the intricate pattern. It was made from one whole, solid piece of metal and had clearly taken some skill to craft. As he looked at it he must have dosed off to sleep, but he did not know when exactly. He was suddenly awoken what must have been a few hours later by a messenger at his door, saying that someone was waiting for him in the stables.

Still dazed from his short sleep, Nathaniel got up and made the descent back down the tower steps. When he reached the bottom, the light in the stables was dim and he found himself rubbing his eyes to try and remove some of the glaze. Stood at the far end, stroking the nose of a horse was Eira, wearing a shawl around her shoulders, since it was considerably colder that night. "I thought you would be busy all night," said Nathaniel, breaking the silence. "No, it was quiet tonight," she replied with her usual smile. "I know it's late, but I needed some company." She added. Nathaniel was glad that he was the company she chose, but it was quite late and he had been quite content sleeping.

They walked the streets together with what seemed like no purpose other than to keep her company. She had linked arms with him and was leading them onwards. They did not talk as much on the walk, mainly because Nathaniel was in fact still half asleep and trying to wake up. After some time Eira stopped but did not stop what she was saying to him at that moment. Then she faced the house where they stood outside and opened the door. "Come in if you want," she said standing over the threshold. Nathaniel was still quite tired, and far too tired to argue or even respond. Instead he followed her through the door, yawning deeply. Inside it was cosy and warm. There was a stove and a small table nearby to eat on. The bed was in the far corner in an alcove. Her home was only the ground floor and a similar arrangement would probably be found on the floor above. Nathaniel smiled. It was a nice little home and was certainly far better than his room, which had become like a prison cell to him lately.