Twenty-two

Who is your favourite actor?

Miraculously, the bullets stopped.

Emery rolled off Five, pushing himself on his knees to the window where he pulled himself up to peer outside. He exhaled once he knew the threat was gone- at least for now.

"What's going on." Five groaned.

"I don't know but we're alive so something must have changed," Emery said, standing up and creeping to the door. He opened it and stepped outside to get a better view, Five moving toward the window.

Emery could see all the Hargreeves looking around wildly, eventually settling on something in the sky. Vanya. Her eyes were glowing, blue orb resting against her chest as she spread her arms and a wave went through, spreading through all the Commission members and killing everyone instantly. Well- everyone except for the Hargreeves, The Handler, and Lila.

"What the hell?" Emery wondered aloud as Lila dropped her hands with a smirk. Even from across the field, Emery could see the girl's smug look as she traded a few words with her mother and then started forward, copying what Vanya had done as a blue glow grew brighter and brighter around her chest. Finally, she sent it forward and Emery realized too late what she was doing.

He tried to duck back inside the house as beckoned by Five but Lila's powers reached him before he could and he was sent toppling forward, groaning with the force which struck him clean off his feet.

"Emery!" Five's muffled voice sounded though it wasn't really muffled. It was just what had come through Emery's ringing ears as he rolled over, winded and gasping for a breath on the porch of the house.

He wasn't sure how long he lay there but when he blinked next, Lila was there, smiling down at him and offering her hand. "Come on old chap. We're going to pay your boyfriend a visit." She said.

Emery glowered. "Not my boyfriend." He said, taking Lila's hand as she pulled him up. "But that doesn't mean I'll kill you if you harm him." He added, twisting in Lila's brace, intending to use the girl's odd kindness against her.

Lila tutted, anticipating the attack and she defended swiftly, twisting out of the grip Emery had tried to instill on her and instead curving around towards Emery's backside and dragging his hand behind him without letting her unrelenting grip go. Emery grit his teeth as the position strained his shoulder. Any sudden movements or changes and his shoulder would dislocate for sure. Regardless, she wouldn't let go.

Lila kicked the door open with her foot and waltzed in, shoving Emery in front of her as she walked but keeping him close so that his shoulder didn't move. Just because you threatened me and I tried to kill you doesn't mean I want to kill you, she had muttered against his ear as she first started walking. Oh yeah, because that really clears it up Emery had thought though he didn't voice any of these aloud.

"What are you?" Luther pressed the moment Lila came to a stop in front of him. The man stood from where he was kneeling beside a pile of bricks that had fallen and Emery realized with a sinking sensation that it was Five that was stuck under there. The wave must have triggered something for it to collapse like that and Luther must have come in some time to see what the commotion was about.

Emery tried to flex his hands, his fingers, his wrists to see if he could somehow manipulate the light around the bricks, make them light enough for Five to push through but if the boy was unconscious, there was nothing he could do.

"Someone who wants to kill your brother." Lila said, using Emery as a shield as she began to circle Luther.

"Well, that's understandable. Diego can be a lot to handle." Luther said, moving in time with Lila and Emery so he was always on the opposite side.