Reveal

It's been two weeks since my talk with Teruhashi. She hasn't come to my house ever since. The reason for that was twofold. For one thing, we just had midterms and everyone was busy with studying. The other thing was that she started talking to me telepathically whenever she felt like it. To be fair, it wasn't often enough as to get on my nerves. She mostly asked a question or two about my powers, or about homework. Idle chatter wasn't a common occurrence, thankfully.

She was thinking a lot about my powers though, and about the implications of me having them. At first, she was very conscious of the fact that I can hear her thoughts pretty much all the time. She was always stopping her train of thought whenever she started thinking ugly things, so much so that I had to intervene. I told her to stop worrying about it, because unless I concentrate on a specific person or a thought mentions me by name, my brain filters them as white noise. That seemed to put her mind at ease, though it still took some time for her to get rid of the feeling of being listened to.

Well, speaking of midterms, I was standing in front of the result board right at this moment. I moved by 40 places, good. If I keep this rate, I'll land in the top 10 by the finals without it being too much out of the left field.

Kaido: "Whoa Saiki! You went up by a whole 40 spots! Impressive! Though I always found it weird how your homework was on point yet you had average exam scores."

Aren: "Well, any guy would improve if he were to study together with Teruhashi."

Kaido: "Huh? That's the first time I'm hearing of it."

Aren: "It's pretty much an established fact in the club. There's been multiple sightings of Teruhashi going to study at Saiki's house, and they're often seen studying in the library too. I guess it makes sense given they're going to the same University but it still pisses me off!"

Kaido: "Damn you Saiki, how come you always end up involved with her? Your luck is out of this world!"

Yeah, the 'I got hit by lightning but survived' kinda luck. I would have preferred to not be hit in the first place.

[My otherworldly luck aside, do you guys have any plans after school?]

Aren: "Not really, something's up?"

[Can you stay for a bit after class? I have something to say to everyone.]

Kaido: "This again? You won't stand us up like last time, will you?"

[Last time something unexpected happened that made me reconsider, but this time I'll go through with it, you have my word.]

Kaido: "Okay sure, I'm even more curious now."

Aren: "I'll stay as well."

[Thanks. If nothing else, it won't be a boring matter.]

*************************

Classes ended in a flash, and everyone was packing up to leave, everyone except our friends group. All of the people who went on the mountain trip stayed behind, and were looking at me impatiently. Yare yare, I'm really not cut out for public speaking. I walked in front of the class then turned around.

[Thank you all for staying, despite me not showing up last time. I have something to share that is very important to me, and I really hope it will remain a secret between us.]

Nendou: "Bahaha you got a girlfriend or something? There was no need to gather us all like this if it's just that!"

[No, I mean that's not the reason. Anyway, I'll get to the point. I have psychic powers.]