The Compromised Duchess 11

CHAPTER 11

Laurel pushed her food listlessly around, too drained to eat. Around her the chatter of guests filled the air but she paid no attention, her mind still on the embarrassing encounter with Lord Grayson earlier this morning. She sighed for the umpteenth time and set her fork down, finally raising her head to take in the view around her.

It was the dinner party celebrating Amelia and Benedict’s engagement, and though Laurel knew she needed to be happy for her friend, she couldn’t seem to drum up enough enthusiasm for the occasion. She caught Williams eye and smiled wanly when he winked at her. His expression turned to worry and Laurel hastily cleared her expression and gave him a genuine smile. Then his attention was reclaimed by his partner, Laurel's cousin, Miss Landon and she was left once again to her thoughts.

I should not have kissed him, now he thinks I am a loose woman out to trap him into a marriage proposal, She thought, What on earth was I thinking, going to the devil’s liar in the first place?

“What’s the matter Laurel?” her uncle, who was seated to her left asked her, noticing her distress, “You’ve hardly touched your meal, and you look distressed. Are you alright child?”

“I'm fine Uncle James,” She turned slightly to face him. His face, so much like her late father’s except for the strong chin and and narrower lips was filled with concern as he stared at her, a gentle smile on his face. “I just feel a little tired that is all, the walk I took this afternoon must have exhausted me more than I anticipated.”

He chuckled and reached out to pat her left hand which lay on the table. He nodded towards the head of the table where Amelia and Benedict sat together, and Laurel's heart rejoiced at the happiness and love that seemed to radiate from two of her favorite people in the world.

“There is no greater joy than finding the person you were created for, my dear” He said, “and I am particularly pleased at this match.”

Laurel returned the smile, “Why are you pleased Uncle?”

“For one thing, theirs is so obviously a love match, and for another, Amelia matches Benedict in status and fortune, so there is no question of if the marriage is one of convenience.”

Laurel eyes fell back on the couple and this time, she caught Amelia’s eye. Amelia beamed at her and raised her wine glass in a silent toast, Laurel reached for her own and returned the gesture.

“You’re right Uncle,” she said replacing her glass on the table, “I do hope I will have the same luck when my time comes.”

“WHAT'S THAT YOU SAID?” Great Aunt Wilma, who was seated next to her bellowed. Wilma was stone deaf in one ear and rapidly losing hearing in the other and had to raise her voice to hear herself speak. “YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED? HOW DELIGHTFUL”

There was a sudden silence at the table as all twenty occupants turned to stare at Aunt Wilma and a furiously blushing Laurel, who fought the urge to sink under the table.

“Goodness!” Lady Davenport, her mother’s younger sister gushed, already brimming with excitement at thought of juicy news, “How excitingly scandalous! To whom?”

“Laurel is getting married?” Cousin Diana screeched, making those seated close wince at the piercing high voice. “I always thought I would be married first.”

“Laurel, darling, is there something you have to say to us?” Lady Abbington said, her expression filled with worry.”

“Good God!” Miss Landon exclaimed before Laurel had a chance to answer, “Are you with child?”

“I AM NOT GETTING MARRIED AND I AM NOT PREGNANT LOUISE!” Laurel yelled rising to her feet, her face beet red in embarrassment. Every one stared at her with varying expressions, from shock at her outburst, to smug delight at seeing the famously composed Lady Laurel lose her temper.

She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and counted to ten, then she reopened them and said much more calmly, “Aunt Wilma must have heard wrong. I was simply commenting to Uncle James on how lovely Benedict and Amelia looked.”

She resumed her seat, avoiding everyone’s eyes, resolutely picked up her fork and stabbed at a piece of veal, then lifting it to her mouth and chewing.

“Well” Louise Landon huffed indignant, “You should have simply said so rather than nearly taking my head off”

Laurel bit her tongue to stop herself from saying something scathing, she swallowed and ate another mouthful. This day was turning out to be one of the worst days in her life, and she had no desire to let it escalate out of control.

“Shut up Louise” William said calmly, “No need to act shrewish.”

“I'm not being shrewish, William,” Louise retorted, giving him a painful jab on the shoulder with her fork, “I was simply expressing my opinion”

“OW!” William exclaimed, rubbing the aching shoulder and glaring at his cousin. “You have absolutely no sense of decorum, you....you... halfwit”

“I beg your pardon?” Louise half rose from her chair, but Lord Edward Farnsworth, Amelia’s elder brother placed a hand on her shoulder and forced her down. She complied, still glaring at William, her eyes promising retribution when they were alone.

“Children!” Lady Abbington said sternly glaring at her offspring and niece, “Do behave yourselves at once”

“THERESA, I THINK IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT LAUREL HAS NOT YET FOUND A SUITOR,” Aunt Wilma yelled again across the table at the Duchess, “SHE MUST BE TWENTY BY NOW, WOULDN'T WANT HER TO END UP ON THE SHELF LIKE PLAIN CATHERINE”

Catherine Abbington, Laurel's aunt from her father’s side, a rather plain, mousy twenty-seven year old spinster bowed her head and paled in mortification.

The Duchess' features displayed no discernible emotion as she replied calmly, “Laurel is but sixteen, Wilma, plenty of time for her to find a suitable husband, and Catherine is not plain” here she smiled at her sister-in-law, “Her features are interesting, and it is unfortunate that gentlemen are so shallow these days and are always chasing after facial attributes, with no thought to the beauty in a woman’s soul,”

Laurel could feel the beginning of a headache, and she winced. She finally looked up and caught Amelia gazing at her, an understanding look on her face. Benedict looked as though he wanted to strangle someone, and Laurel felt her dreary mood lift a little, at least she wasn’t the only one seriously considering murder.

Lord Farnsworth, Amelia’s father cleared his throat and tapped on his water glass with a spoon to get everyone’s attention. He slowly rose to his feet and looked around, taking in every face gathered there.

“I wish to propose a toast to the future couple,” He began, hands clasped behind his back, as he beamed at his daughter and future son-in-law, “When Benedict asked to have a private word with me last week, I never dreamed it was to ask for my daughter's hand in marriage. I am pleased to say, I couldn't have hoped for a better son-in-law, and I declare, my daughter has made a splendid choice.”

There were smiles all around , as Benedict bowed in acknowledgment of the Duke’s words, then took his future bride's hand and lifted it gently to his lips. Amelia’s eyes filled with love when he placed a kiss on her hand, and she giggled happily,

“So,” Lord Farnsworth continued, “In honor of this union, I have decided to give an early wedding present. Benedict, as part of my daughter's dowry, I wish to bestow the property at Worcestershire, three thousand acres of prime property, including Hartford manor.”

“Oh Father,”Amelia gasped and sprang up to hug him, “You are being too generous, thank you, you, I love you so much Papa,”

Benedict rose too and clasped the Duke’s hand in a warm handshake. “Thank you, Your Grace, On behalf of my future wife and I, I accept this generous gift, and say thank you.”

“Much obliged,” The Duke replied, raising his wine glass. George stepped forward discreetly and refilled it with champagne. “To the Bride and Groom”

Everyone lifted their glass and intoned the words of the toast. Laurel downed her wine and held out her glass to be refilled, downing that one too in one gulp. Suddenly she wished dinner would be over, so she could escape to the privacy of her bedchamber. All this lovey dovey emotions simply reminded her of her own disastrous encounter with that despicable cur, who had had the audacity to kiss her senseless, then insult her and worse off, practically throw her out of his house. She touched a finger to her lips, it was almost as though she could still feel the hot imprint of his mouth on hers, and a delicious shiver flowed through her. She sighed, and dropped her hand.

The Duchess rose, signaling the end of dinner, and all the ladies rose too and filed out of the dining room, to leave the gentlemen to their port and brandy, while they had tea in the drawing room and waited for the gentlemen to join them later. Laurel murmured an excuse to her mother about needing to refresh her toilet, then escaped to her room.

She sighed and flopped down on the bed, no caring that the delicate velvet of her gown would be irreversibly crushed, and closed her eyes. At once, an image of Lord Grayson's face swam before her and she quickly opened them again.

Stop thinking about him, Laurel Grace Abbington, She reprimanded herself, He means nothing to you, and he quite made it clear today that he despises you, so forget him at once.

She sighed again and rolled over on her stomach. How she wished she could confide in Amelia about this confusing emotions. But she knew that was next to impossible because Amelia was too engrossed in her impending wedded bliss, to listen to what she had to say, and none of her other friends would listen without passing judgment on her for being such a wanton woman.

A timid knock sounded at her door, and Laurel rose to open the door. A kitchen maid, Bertha stood there, and she curtsied.

“Forgive me, yer ladyship,” she whispered, glancing furtively about her to make sure they were alone. “I 'ave a message for ye.” she reached beneath her apron and pulled out a white square of writing paper.

“Who is it from?” Laurel asked, taking the note. It bore no seal or crest and her curiousity was aroused. She felt a slight quickening of her pulse as the thought that maybe the Duke had written to apologize.

“Me brother-in-law, asked me to give tis to ye, he said it’s from 'is master, the Marquis”

“Oh” she felt a slight twinge of disappointment but quickly brightened at the thought of Lord Giles. “Thank you Bertha, wait a moment...” She walked to her dresser and picked up her purse, taking out a guinea, which she gave to the maid, “For the trouble”

“Thank ye, yer ladyship” Bertha gushed and hurried away.

Laurel shut the door, quickly opened the letter and scanned the contents. A pleasant warmth spread through her at Lord Giles' words and she pressed the note to her bosom.

“Oh Giles!” she whispered, “Of course I shall meet you tomorrow.”There was another knock and she quickly folded the note and shoved it under a pile of novels, then went to answer it.

“Amelia!” She exclaimed at the sight of her friend, and opened the door wider, “ Do come in, why did you leave your guests?”

Amelia grinned and stepped inside, “I should be asking you the same question Laurel dear,” she replied, “Imagine my surprise when I found my best friend had abandoned me at my own engagement party. I simply came to see if you are all right?”

Laurel laughed, and put an arm around Amelia'a shoulder. “I simply needed a few minutes to freshen up after the debacle at the dinner table.”

Amelia rolled her eyes in sympathy, “Poor Benedict, I had to hold his hand to prevent him from leaping for William's throat earlier. I can only imagine how embarrassing it must have been for you”

“Let us be thankful it was simply an intimate gathering, and not in front of the entire ton.” Laurel replied, “That would have been the disaster.

“Good heaven's, a frightful nightmare” Amelia said in mock horror. “Although, I couldn’t help but notice you seemed a little pale, earlier. I hope there is nothing the matter?”

Only my pride that is in shambles, Laurel thought,and for one moment was tempted to spill everything, but then she shook her head and smiled, “I just felt a bit tired after my walk this afternoon Amy,” she said “Nothing to worry about”

“Well then, I must insist you come back to the drawing room at once,” Amelia pulled her firmly to the door, “Apart from my beloved, you are the only one I can carry on a conversation with and not be tempted to pull my hair out.”

“Surely you exaggerate” Laurel said, allowing herself to be ushered down the stairs, “Our relations are not that terrible”

“Ha! Speak for yourself dearest"
*******************************************************************************

Thomas strode into the parlor of his mistress' townhouse. Cecily lifted one perfectly sculpted brow at him and rose lazily from the divan.

“Thomas! Quite an unexpected visit,” she said coming close to wrap her arms around his neck, having to stand on tip toes to do so. “I had no idea you were coming”

He inhaled her perfume, a bit too cloying for his tastes, and bent to press his lips at the base of her neck. She threw back her head and purred in satisfaction and presses even closer.

“Do I need to inform you when I wish to spend time with you?” He said pulling away so he could look into her alluring green eyes. At that moment, he was reminded of another pair of green eyes, filled with desire and innocence and he frowned. Damnation, he had sought out his mistress so as to be able to forget the sight, feel and taste of a certain young woman.

“Of course not Thomas,” Cecily traced a seductive finger over his shirt, and smiled up at him, “I always complain that you don’t come to see me as often as I would like, I’m happy you are here, I’ve been so bored"

Thomas raised an eyebrow at her, “The huge bills for shopping extravagances I receive nearly everyday do not seem to signal a bored mind.”

She laughed and spun away, the transparent blue dressing gown she was wearing gaping open to reveal a smooth silky leg. Normally that would have sent slivers of desire through him, but today, it failed to achieve the desired effect. His frown grew deeper.

Cecily wondered at his tenseness, true he had sought her out, but it seemed his mind was preoccupied with something...or someone else. She scowled, then moved closer, loosening the belt of the dressing gown to reveal her corset. “Ah Thomas, indeed I have missed you....come...let me show you how much.”

For the first time, her words sounded rehearsed and too plastic, and he took a step back, his mind filled with thoughts Laurels soft words, her moans of pleasure at his kiss, the way her body molded to his...seeming to fit so perfectly, as if she belonged there.

Stop it Grayson. He thought angrily, she probably despises you for the despicable way you treated her earlier today... so stop it. You have a willing woman in front of you, ready to perform your every command without the expectation of a marriage proposal and instead you lust after a mere schoolgirl, whose brother would probably put a bullet in your head if he knew you are having lustful thoughts about his sister.

He reached out to grasp Cecily by the waist, and hurl her close enough for a crushing kiss. He was thankful to feel a stab of desire and deepened the kiss, subtly leading the way to the bedchamber. Cecily’s expert fingers went to work on his cravat, then his shirt, but he stopped her before she went lower.

“Whatever is the matter with you today Thomas?” Cecily gasped, feeling a stab of anger at his reluctance. “Are you ill?”

He ran a hand through his hair. Damn Laurel for coming to his home and disturbing his peace of mind. “I am sorry, Cecily, perhaps I am coming down with something,” He buttoned up his shirt and hastily retied his cravat, then walked past Cecily, who stood gaping at him in astonishment, and left.

AUTHOR'S NOTE,

So this chapter is basically just to show how each of them felt in the aftermath of the kiss, so I hope you’re not too disappointed. :D, I’ll try and make the story move a little faster from here on and also update regularly. Please read, vote and comment? A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has been following this story and showing support and encouragement. Love you so much. Cheers :D