The Compromised Duchess 13

Chapter 13
Warning: This chapter is rated PG13, and may contain explicit descriptions of a sexual and violent nature.

Laurel drifted hazily in and out of consciousness, a warm pleasant feeling washing over her in waves, starting from her neck and spreading down to the rest of her. She moaned softly in pleasure, arching her neck to get maximum pleasure from whatever was creating this wondrous sensation.

The arm wrapped around her waist tightened, drawing her closer into the heat, as a hot mouth landed once again on her neck, biting, caressing. She moaned again and turned, wanting those lips on hers, needing much more than just caresses. Her eyes fluttered open, and she found herself staring at Giles' handsome face, his expression filled with such an intense desire, she could feel herself melting.

“Laurel, my precious one” He whispered, his hot breath fanning her face, “I need you, I can’t seem to stop myself”

She gazed into his eyes and the passion she saw there made her shiver in delight. She realized they were both on the hard wooden floor of the cabin, his coat protecting them from the dirt, her head lay on his outstretched arm and their limbs were entwined. His other hand roamed over her upper body, his touch burning her where ever it landed. A warning bell rang at the back of her mind as a small part of her was alarmed at the precariousness of the situation, but then another part, the larger one, ached for Giles' touch. She smiled at him, and he took that as permission to lower his mouth to hers.

His kiss is so different from Thomas,  She thought, letting her hand snake round his neck to pull him closer. Giles kiss was slow and passionate and ignited warm tender feelings in her, whereas Thomas' had been demanding, making her want to rip his clothes apart.

“Oh Giles” she whispered when they came up for air, “we need to stop...this is wrong......sinful..”

“There is nothing sinful in two people expressing their love for one another, my love,” Giles whispered back, then claimed her mouth again. She gave up all pretense of modesty and kissed him back. She felt his surprise at her sudden ardor, but it was quickly overcome by desire.

His mouth left hers to trail down her neck, her arms and finally and she shut her eyes feeling his hands join his mouth in causing her pleasure.

“Mm mm Thomas,” she whispered again, her mind filled with the image of the other man to ever evoke such response in her. “Please, don’t stop”

Giles heard the whispered plaintive and stopped cold, his ears disbelieving. He pulled away and stared at Laurel, her eyes still shut, oblivious to the error she had just committed. He felt fury wash over him and he had to restrain himself from reaching for her neck, and snapping it with one quick twist of his hand. The whore had dared to utter the name of his mortal enemy while he, Giles had been making love to her.

He watched her open her eyes to stare at him in puzzled innocence, but in that instant, Giles hated her deeply and wanted to hurt her just as much as she had hurt him.

“Giles?” she sat up, looking worried at the darkness that seemed to emanate from him. “Is anything the matter?”

“You tell me, you whore,” He said making his tone pleasant, and he had the pleasure of seeing the color drain from her face at his words. “It appears you have been a very bad little girl, haven’t you?”

“Giles!” she gasped, hurrying to her feet, but he grabbed hold of her left hand and yanked her back, so she fell against him with a cry of fright. “What has gotten into you? Have you been possessed by the devil himself?”

“Shut up!” he roared, striking her cheek with his right arm.

She cried out in pain, the force of the slap making her head whip around, the imprint of his fingers forming painful red grooves on her pale skin.

“Did you enjoy Grayson's bed?” He rose to his feet, towering over her, while she crawled on her hands and knees in an effort to get away. “Did he make you scream in passionate ecstasy when he invaded you? Tell me you lying fool, or I shall rip your heart from your chest”

“P...p..lease... do..'nt, I beg you, I don’t know what you are talking about” Laurel pleaded, tears streaming down her cheeks, “Please let me go Giles, please.”

He reached down and grabbed a handful of her hair, yanking it back so she screamed again. He brought his face close to hers and kissed her, bruising her mouth, his other hand gripped her arm so tightly, it broke the skin, expelling trickles of blood.

He pushed her down to the floor and pinned her with his body. He raised his head and sneered at the terror in her eyes, loving the sight of blood streaming from the cuts on her lips.

“You haven’t answered my question Laurel,” he warned as she struggled under him, her movements causing a stirring in his groin. “Did you enjoy being his plaything?”

Laurel shut her eyes, every fiber of her body screaming to get away from this monster, Please God, help me, she prayed with all her might, hoping that somehow, this nightmare would end.

“I have never been with Lord Grayson, Giles” she whispered, “Please, you have to believe me”

He hit her again, “LIAR!” he shouted, over the sound of her screaming. “THAT NIGHT AT THE BALL, YOU KISSED HIM, DID YOU NOT?”

He rose and bringing her up with him, still holding on to her hair. Laurel clawed at his face, scratching him in his left eye and he screamed in agony and let go of her to clap a hand over the eye.

She wasted no time, pushing past him, yanking the door so hard it fell of its hinges, and she gathered her skirts and ran through the still pouring rain.

She stumbled a few times, her gown being ripped as she plowed through the bushes. She could hear Giles screaming threats and obscenities as he pursued her. She choked back a sob, dear god, what had she done? How could she have been so careless? All this was her fault for seeking after things she had no business going after, and she only prayed she would be able to escape Giles so she could do penance for her sins.

She stumbled over a jutting piece of rock and fell into the mud, rolling down an incline then slammed into a tree in her path. She shut her eyes and gritted her teeth to stop the scream as pain lanced through her middle from the impact with the tree.

He caught up to her and leaned over her as she lay there, battered and bruised, his eyes gleaming with the madness that had seized him.

“You little fool,” he mocked, “did you really think you could run away from me?”

“Giles, stop this at once!” she said, trying to put some authority in her voice but failing miserably, she gasped as he grabbed her arm and yanked her to her feet.

“Stop?” he laughed horribly, while she tried not to double over in pain. “Oh my dear one, I have just begun. You see, I had other ways to make you my wife, I played your stupid game of romance, tried to be the perfect gentleman to you, but what do you do? You turn away from my love and throw yourself at that cur”

He paused and moved closer, bringing his face to hers. Laurel could see the marks her fingernails had drawn on his face and she winced.

“You will marry me, Laurel Abbington, or I shall destroy you and everything you hold dear” He said quietly. “Your dowry will go a long way to settling my creditors and ensuring I live comfortably until my father’s death when everything will be mine.”

“I will do no such thing” Laurel spat, feeling a rush of anger, which gave her courage to stand up to him, “I will never become your wife, Giles, you are a beast and you do not deserve to live among decent humans”

He tightened his grip on her arm. “Such bravery will only cause you more pain, my love.” he replied. “If you tell your brothers of this incident, you can be sure your darling Benedict will call me out to a duel, and I assure you, even if he does kill me, he will become a fugitive, a murderer. Your name and that of your family will be dragged through the mud, you will become an outcast, your brother will stand to lose his title, and the love of his life, your dearest friend Amelia. Is that what you want?”

Laurel glared at him, but deep down inside, she knew she would never bring such disaster upon her family. Her heart sank in despair at the thought of what she had to do to protect her family.

The silence between them was only broken by the sound of raindrops hitting the trees, and running water, as well as the occasional roll of thunder. The two faced each other, one smug at the thought of impending victory and the other, filled with trepidation and regret.

“When they ask me about my bruises” Laurel said, “What do I tell them?”

“That is easy” Giles replied, “You went for a walk and the storm caught up with you as you walked through the woods. You slipped and fell quite a distance, hurting yourself in the process”

“Nobody will believe that preposterous story” she snorted, pulling her arm away from his grasp and rubbing the sore spot, still glaring at him.

“You better make them believe it Laurel, or the consequences will be grave indeed.” He retorted, reaching out to stroke her cheek, smirking when she flinched at his touch. “Soon, I will teach you to welcome my touch, crave it even and beg me for it, I promise I shall be as gentle and pleasant as possible. I shall not need a mistress to keep my bed warm, when you will see to my every need”

“I despise you” she said, “Even if I do agree to this ridiculous proposition, I will make your life a living hell till you regret the day you were born. Mark my words, you blackguard.”

The rain suddenly ceased and the clouds parted to release a brilliant shaft of sunlight that pierced through the cover of the trees, to where they stood. Giles looked up and smiled.

“Even the heavens seem to bless our happy intentions, my dear bride-to-be,” He chuckled, “Now may I suggest you go be on your way home? I shall call round at noon tomorrow to ask for your hand, and all had better be well Lady Abbington, or you shall regret the day you were born.”

He stepped back and spun away, towards the direction of the cabin. Laurel stared after him, finally allowing the tears of pain, anger and fear to cascade down her cheeks. She wrapped her arms around her sodden self, and sobbed, wondering how on earth she had found herself entangled in this web of lies and deceit.

“Please God” she whispered, wiping her cheeks with a grimy hand, “How do I get myself out of this? I can't let Benedict or Mama know or else that monster will have won. What do I do? What do I do?”
She picked up her ruined shoes which had slipped from her feet during her fall, groaning at the intense pain that wracked her sides, and slowly retraced her way out of the woods and towards home.

********
Laurel slipped in through the servants entrance, grateful to find it deserted and hurried upstairs to her bedchamber. Agatha sat sewing by the fire and she cried out when she saw the state of her mistress.

“Good Lawd” she gasped pressing a hand to her bosom as she set down her sewing and hurried over to enfold her mistress in a comforting embrace. “What on earth happened to ye? Ye look like death itself.”

Laurel felt grateful for the affection, and took badly needed strength from it. “I'm fine Agatha, tis just a few cuts and bruises, and a lot of mud.”

“Ye were caught in the storm?” Agatha ran a critical eye over her, frowning at the red bruise on Laurel's cheeks. “look like you were in a fight. What happened.”

“I got lost in the woods, when the rain began” Laurel said turning away to put an end to the maid’s stare. “I.....I slipped, coming down a slope and hit a tree. Did Mama ask as to my whereabouts?”

The maid shook her head, and busied herself with helping Laurel out of her ruined gown. “She has been at the Farnsworth house all day. Let me call for some hot water, ye need a bath.”

“Indeed I do,” Laurel replied, feeling the onset of another bout of tears. She shook her head and forced back the emotion. “And some laudanum,my body aches in a thousand places.”

“Right away my lady” Agatha curtsied and left to do her bidding.

Laurel stood before the full length looking glass and stared at her reflection. Agatha was right, she did look like death, with every part of her covered in mud, and her eyes appeared huge and frightened. Her left cheek had already begun to swell, and her lips were blood-stained and swollen. There were small cuts and bruises all over her arms and she surmised she must have gotten them from her dash through the bushes.

“Curse you Giles Rosehaven,” she whispered, her fists clenching in fury, “I will find a way to make you pay for what you have done, and are about to do to me”

Author’s note.
Sorry, if this chapter comes across as being too violent, but I needed to create a vivid picture of what happens between Laurel and Giles. This was not my original plan for this chapter, but I found myself suddenly seized with a desire to have it this way. However, I will willingly rewrite it if doesn’t appeal to my esteemed readers. Please Vote and Comment? I need feedback because I’m worried at the reactions this gets from my readers.