The Compromised Duchess 7

SEVEN

Laurel stared at her reflection in the mirror as Agatha dressed her hair, piling midnight tresses into an elegant coif at the top of her head. Her mind still wandered to the scene in the library and not for the first time today, she wondered what it would be like to be lost in arms of someone who made her moan in delight, who turned her into an unrecognizable wanton creature with absolutely no sense of propriety.

“Would you like the green muslin or the yellow silk one, My lady?” Agatha asked, done with her hair and opening the wardrobe to get pick out the two equally elegant riding habits and holding them up for her inspection.

“I think the green one will do Agatha,” Laurel replied, not taking her eyes off the mirror. “Please fetch my green gloves and hat too.”

Agatha placed the dress carefully on the bed, then opened a drawer and retrieved the requested items. Laurel rose, and allowed the maid to fasten the laces of her corset, then stepped into her chemise and shift and finally pulled the gown on. There was a discreet knock on the door and Agatha went to see who it was. She spoke quietly with the person for a few minutes then turned to face her mistress who was examining herself carefully.

“Lady Farnsworth is in the blue drawing room, My Lady.” She announced.

Laurel spun around one final time, then picked her gloves and hat and swept out the door, walking quickly towards the blue drawing room. A footman opened the door and she walked in to see her best friend sitting stiffly on a chaise, studying the fire. Amelia rose as soon as she saw Laurel and a blush stained her lovely cheeks.

“Hello Laurel dearest” She said with a nervous smile. “I must have caught you at a bad time, it appears you are on your way out.”

Laurel smiled and moved close to give her an affectionate hug. “Why all this awkwardness Amy?” she laughed, pulling away. “We have been friends since our schoolroom days....whatever could be the matter?”

Amelia smiled and resumed her seat, pulling Laurel down beside her. “I`m sorry about last night, it must have been quite a shock for you to walk in such a scene.”

“Believe me, I fancied myself dreaming at the time. Tell me, how long has this er......tryst been going on with my brother?”

Amelia blushed again. “You must think me forward, but to tell the truth, it happened quite suddenly last night at the ball. One minute Benedict and I were having a merry spat in the garden, and the next, I was in his arms...... later when you had gone into your chambers, he dragged me to the library and....well....we....you know.”

“Oh my!”

“I understand exactly what you mean” Amelia gushed, taking her friend’s hand and clasping it between hers.”

“Did he propose? Are we going to be truly sisters?” Laurel asked, eyes shining in excitement

Amelia nodded and leapt from the chaise. “As we speak, Benedict has gone to ask my father’s permission. Indeed Laurel, we are going to be sisters.”

Laurel squealed and hugged her friend. “I couldn’t wish for a better sister-in-law. Oh I’m sure Mama will be in raptures when she hears the news.”

The door opened and George, the Abbington butler peered in. “Pardon me My Lady, but the gentleman from earlier has arrived.”

“Oh Lord Giles,” Laurel exclaimed. “Please inform him I shall be down shortly.”