Chapter 10 This Moment

Y/n spends the earlier part of the day helping her mom clean the house and back yard. If you can't tell, y/n likes to be busy to avoid her feelings.

"So are you seeing that drummer boy?" Mom asks

"Gareth? No. Kind of? I don't know. He likes me but I don't think he has time for me. Between his club and band he's kind of busy."

"If he really wants to be with you, he'll make time for you."

Once it gets closer to 6 o'clock y/n starts to get ready to go to Gareth's. She was not in the mood to put on a lot of makeup or tease her hair. She kept it simple by putting her hair in a ponytail, mascara, and lipgloss. Once she feels prepared she says goodbye to her mom and Mark and begins to make the bike ride to his house.

She starts by riding down the hill and past Giovanni's, then the music shop, followed by the library. She takes her time going to her destination. Once she gets to his development she sees Dustin in a car with that appears to be his mother driving. He rolls down the window and waves at y/n. The car starts to slow down.

"Hey y/n! I'm just leaving Gareth's. Hope you have a magical evening!"

Before y/n can have a chance to ask him why he would call hanging out with Gareth "magical" his mom drives away.

As you peddle up the hill you begin to hear what can be best described as muffled music. It doesn't sound like Gareth's band. It sounds like if somebody was playing music on a stereo or boom box.

Once you get to Gareth's house you realized the music was coming from his garage. The garage door is closed but you can see lights shining through the sides of the door. Then you realize the beginning part of your favorite song "These Dreams"by Heart is playing.

Before you could react the garage door slowly opens.

Gareth is standing in the center of the garage. Although he is wearing his usual ripped jeans and sneakers, he has on a button up dress shirt and tie. His hands are clasped shut. You focus on his face and at first he seemed nervous. But then you see a small smile come across his face.

He walks up to you, brings his hand out and asks, "May I have this dance?"

You take his hand and he walks you to the center of the garage. You and him start to slow dance in tune. You look around and notice that Gareth made his own makeshift dance.

You see a disco ball hung up in the corner. The little mirrors on it causing twinkling lights to bounce off every surface. Then you see green and gold balloons and streamers strategically placed. Before you could let that sink in you see a folding table with a boom box and two cans of Dr. Pepper with paper cups next to each other.

You put your head on his shoulder in disbelief. Your trying to take it all in but it feels like a dream.

Gareth created his own school dance out of his garage. He dressed up for you. He did all of this for you.

While your realizing what is really happening is real, Gareth starts to talk.

"I'm sorry I couldn't take you the dance yesterday. I didn't realize how important it was to you. I hope this makes up for it. I also wanted to tell you that I remember seeing you for the first time too. I remember seeing you walk into Trig and thinking how pretty and cool you were. I was surprised you sat by me. And even more surprised that you wanted to talk to me. I just want to let you know that you mean a lot to me y/n and I want to be with you."

You and him stop slow dancing. You look up at him. He runs his finger across your jaw and then under your chin. The cool metal of his ring mixed with the warm skin heightened your senses.

He then slowly pulls you towards him with his arm around your waist and gives you a soft and slow kiss.

You feel dizzy with delight. The moment you dreamed about since September is happening in the sweetest way possible.

Once the kiss is over you gasp and start to blush. You tell him, "I want to be with you too."

Gareth gives you the biggest smile. You can tell he was relieved and elated by your reply.

You lean in for another kiss.

You are enjoying this moment. You run your fingers though his hair without abandon.

You knew this moment was something to savor and you were not going to hold back anymore.

"You know y/n doing that to my hair drives me wild." Gareth growls into your ear.

You let out a sudden giggle. Gareth then rests his forehead against yours. Then he stars to stroke your cheek.

Gareth leans back, looks into your eyes, and says, "I can't believe this is really happening."

You lean in for another kiss. This time it's deeper. You kiss him with urgency, afraid you'll wake up and realize it was all but a dream. No need to pinch yourself, this is so real.

As the tune of "These dreams" echos through the subdivision you and Gareth continue to embrace each other. Kissing like you'll run out of time at any moment.

What might have been a regular Saturday night in Hawkins for most was one you will never forget.

***Thank you so much for reading! I'm truly grateful for the kind comments. There is a sequel for this fanfic that is completed. Check it out!***