Chapter 4 A Tutors Introduction

Y/n starts to put her trig book and her notebook into her book bag. Before leaving the house she looks into her bedroom mirror. She decided to leave her hair down instead of her go-to ponytail. She finishes her makeup routine by putting on a thin layer of Dr. Pepper flavored Lipsmackers on her lips. It's not bold like lipstick but a tinge of red that accentuates her full mouth. If you can't already tell, y/n loves anything that is Dr. Pepper. She loves the drink and the lip gloss. She says to herself while looking at her reflection, "Well, here goes nothing."

As y/n peddles a couple miles north, her thoughts start to wander. She can't believe she gets to be tutored by her secret crush. How is this possible? How is she going to be able to listen and concentrate on Trig when it's being told by the guy she steals glances at in class?

Y/n thinks about his soft hair and how it would feel between her fingers. Although she would never consider herself a romantic she definitely has had some cheesy fantasies about him since September.

Y/n tries to shake those thoughts off when she turns into a subdivision that has rows of split level homes all nicely spaced together. Y/n notices most have pristine lawns and some even have in ground swimming pools. As she pumps her legs up a hill she hears music in the distance. It sounds vaguely familiar but she can't put her finger on it. Once she gets to her destination she sees Gareth, Jeff, Eddie, and another guy at their respective instruments. Y/n then realizes they are playing, "Living After Midnight" by Judas Priest.

"Living after midnight
Rocking to the dawn
Loving 'til the morning
Then I'm gone, I'm gone"

You hop off your bike and walk towards the open garage door containing the members of Corroded Coffin. You can feel your palms getting clammy while you try to take your time approaching. You can feel the beats of the bass and drums thumping into your chest as you draw closer.

Gareth sees you step off your bike and slowly walking up to his garage. He noticed how your hips slowly swing side to side as you walk closer. The wind picks up a little and your hair is being blown to the side. Gareth thinks you look like one of those girls from the music videos he religiously watches on MTV. Without warning Gareth loses focus and starts playing off beat.

Eddie looks up at Gareth with a look of exasperation.

"What the hell man? Why are you playing like shit all the sudden?"

He sees Gareth peer around him while giving a small wave to somebody behind him. Eddie turns to see y/n standing there with her arms clasped together giving a shy smile. With a whisper Eddie says to Gareth, "Dr. Pepper girl eh? So this is why you wanted us to end practice early? She's cute." while giving him a sly wink.

"Hey y/n I lost track of time. Would you mind waiting a few minutes while we finish practice?" Gareth points to a lawn chair that is not so coincidentally placed in front of everyone. You take off your book bag and place it on your lap while you watch Corroded Coffin finish their song. Although you think you arrived too early, Gareth purposely wanted you to see him play.

While you watch them rehearse the rest of the song, "Living After Midnight" you try your best to look at all of the members equally so you don't appear to be a creep.

At one point you pretended to look for something in your book bag. Then gazed at the holiday decorations tucked away in the corners of the garage. You try to stare at the Halloween cutouts, bundles of Christmas lights, and Easter baskets. Just anything to act casual.

Once they finish playing all of the guys except Gareth pack up their equipment and start leaving one by one. Jeff gives you a warm smile and asks, "Your Mary's friend right? We have AP bio together. Tell her I said hi" then casually strolls to his car.