Chapter 15 - Ava//When The Fox Hears the Rabbit Scream

Just had a photoshoot with my friend thought I'd share a pic.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nate and I slowly walked out of the empty classroom together.

"Where do you think he is?" Nate asked me.

"I'm not sure," I replied. "Probably back where I left him still."

"Should the two of us walk past him together?"

My eyes widened as I quickly shook my head. "That would be too obvious. We have to be coy, and furtive to properly pull this off."

Nate stared at me. I caught his gaze.

"What?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Nothing," he replied. "You're just so smart...and beautiful."

I lifted a brow and blushed. "Gee, um...no guy has ever told me that before."

His lips curled up into a smirk. He suddenly looked down and began to stutter.

"You know, if in the future, we actually...you know, I wouldn't uh be completely objected to, um-"

"Me too." He looked back up at me, his big, brown eyes sparkling. I reached down, grabbed his hand, and pulled him along with me.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"The second floor," I replied. "Luther is probably right where I left him. If he looks up at the right moment, he'll see us on the next landing."

Nate nodded. "And what will we be doing to catch his attention?"

I turned my head and lifted an eyebrow mischievously. "Use your imagination."

He smirked as we glided along up the stairs. We made it up and walked over to the railing, where we looked down, and saw Luther still drawing his gross pictures.

"Now what?" he asked.

I looked from him, back down to Luther, and to him again. I pulled his face to mine. He put a hand on my cheek and wrapped his other hand around my waist.

I opened my eyes and looked down to see if Luther was watching. I saw his head slowly tilt upwards. His expression was blank, however. It was impossible to read him.

Suddenly, someone pulled us apart.

"Nate?" A girl's shrill voice exclaimed. "Who is that?"

I turned around to see a girl with platinum hair and bright blue eyes. Her lips were pink, and her outfit seemed to match her face. She reminded me of a bubble gum cupcake, which, of course, made me gag.

"Um, Gwen..." Nate began.

"Nate, what's going on?" I asked him. "Who is this?"

"I could say the same for you," she said sassily, a hand on her hip and an eyebrow perched high on her forehead. I crinkled my face in response.

"Gwen, how many times do I have to tell you, I'm not your boyfriend."

"You just think that, Nathaniel Cooper," she snipped. "But you are mine. That breakup wasn't real. You don't know what you're talking about."

Nate rolled his eyes. I stared at him intently. I looked back down. Luther was observing everything that was occurring here on the second floor. A sadistic grin crept across his dark lips. I looked back to Nate.

"Ava," he began.

I put up a hand to stop him. "Just...forget it. It's not going to work." I gestured back down towards Luther. Nate glanced at him, but then back to me. "You have enough problems without me."

I started walking away. I could hear him arguing with this "Gwen" girl behind me. I shook my head in disbelief as I scurried down the stairs.

I turned the corner and ran out the double doors that led to an empty corner of the outside of the school. I stood there for a moment and let a silent tear of hopelessness slip down my cheek. I suddenly felt a chilling presence behind me.

"Who was that?" An eerily familiar voice asked. I quickly wiped the tear and turned around.

"Nobody," I answered through half clenched teeth. Luther stood before me, his hands tucked into him slim, black slacks.

He looked like death, standing there in his black turtle neck against his frail, yet powerful body and his chalky, white skin. His eyebrows sunk low near to his hollowed green eyes, making him look even more depressing than he acted.

"You and I both know that isn't true," he retorted. I furrowed my brows. "What do you want with Nate?"

I crossed my arms and straightened my posture. "Something that you can't give me."

His right eyebrow along with his eye moved up slightly at my remark, almost apathetically. "And what might that be?" he asked, almost a whisper.

I leaned in close to his face. "Love."

I pulled away and brushed past him, opening the door to go back inside of the school. I felt his cold hand take hold of my wrist. I tried to wrench it out of his grasp, but his grip was relentless.

"Let go of me," I calmly demanded.

"No."

He yanked me back out to the private corner and flung me into it. He pinned me to the wall as he breathed heavily and looked down at my chest.

I rolled my eyes. "Do whatever."

His gaze shot up to me, sending a chill to dance up my spine. I crinkled my brows and stared at him intently.

"Your carelessness is really beginning to piss me off," he rasped.

I rolled my eyes again. "Yeah, well you know what, Luther, your apathy is really starting to piss me off." I broke free of his grasp and shoved him away from me. He looked at me with shock as well as a hint of disdain.

"You really should start fearing me again," he taunted. I began to walk away. "It was better for the both of us."

"Well you know what, I'm not afraid of you. You say you'll do things to me, and I know that you won't. Every time you're about to go through with whatever it is you have planned, you chicken out, and you let me go. I have no reason to fear you, Luther."

I walked onto the grass and was about to turn a corner where I heard my group of friends chatting, when suddenly, I was shoved in the back, pushing me to the ground.

The wind knocked out of me, I struggled for breath as I felt his icy hand reach for a fistful of my hair, pulling my head up. I let out a choked cry. He leaned down right next to my face so that he was talking into my cheek. My breath became staggered as all of the fear that I had so bravely pushed down suddenly came rushing up my throat.

"Well perhaps it's time that I went through with something, now isn't it?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Yay and update! Please vote and comment!