Chapter 9 "Mixed Feelings"

At 3:00 A.M, Himiko could hear crickets all over her backyard, singing in the night. She shoved pillows under her blankets to make it look like she was still in bed, got out a ladder, and slowly climbed out her window. 

    She ran into the park, hoping that nobody would see her in her finest black and red dress. The base color of the dress was black but there were red flower outlines on it. She also wore white frilly socks and black mary jane shoes. 

    "Seems like you actually came..." smiled Kokichi. "Even after everything that happened, heh..."

    "Of course I did," smiled Himiko.

    "I found you in the police station and spied on you a little bit. Um..thanks for not giving them any information about me."

    "Well, I still could have. You were a real jerk. I'm guessing there was a reason for that, though."

    Kokichi was sitting on one of the park's brown, wooden benches. Himiko joined him by sitting down on the bench right next to him.

    He lifted her hand up and held it tightly, their palms together. 

    "....Listen, I...have no family left. So...I guess that makes you the only person I care about. Kirumi is still out there, I bet. But, whether I find her or not, you're really all I need in my life right now and in the future. I want you to be my future so.."

    "Is this a marriage proposal?"

    "No, we're too young for that. I'm saying..."

    "You're saying?"

    "I love you, Himiko Yumeno. I'm a criminal who has fallen for a mage. You are there to entertain, I am there to bring havoc on the world to provide for myself. We're both performers but out there to do completely different things. Will you be my girlfriend?"

    "Heh, I love you too, Kokichi. Well, even though you are a manipulative phantom thief."

    He pulled her in to kiss her and she kissed him back.

    He had stolen a black and white tux to wear just for the occasion.

    He pulled back, picking something off the floor. He gave her a red, heart-shaped box of chocolate and a bouquet of red roses. 

    "Or at least, that's how I wanted this to go"

    "Huh?"

    "I turned myself in for you, darling. Just because I'm madly in love with you doesn't mean that I'm good enough for you."

    A bunch of cops and the two familiar detectives entered the park.

    "We got your email, Ms. Yumeno. Thank you for turning the Phantom Thief in."

    He ran his fingers through her red locks of hair. "You're so cute...sorry that it had to be this way, sweetheart."

    "Kokichi..?" asked Himiko, crying too much to finish her sentence. He started crying too, except he kept his twisted-looking smile on as always. "I have no one else to steal for except for myself. Bye."

    Himiko stood up on the park's trail, dropping her bouquet of red roses and box of chocolates. He watched as the cops and two detectives walked Kokichi away to a big vehicle which would take him to prison.