Chapter 16: The Straw Horse

I was freezing cold and tireder than I'd ever been in my life when I got back upstairs, but I had to know what had happened to Death. I hoped he was dead.

The TV was still on. There were a couple of ambulance people in there with Death, and he was up on his feet. Mrs. Death was sobbing happily in the background. I didn't think anyone would glue up the broken plate and coffee mug like they'd fixed the table. I doubted it would have made a difference anyway. It hadn't for the Ape.

I'd tried diving for Fred. I kept diving deeper and deeper, and taking longer and longer getting back to the surface, until Sophie got scared and made me stop.

That night he rose to the surface by himself, like some weird submarine. I dragged him out and wrapped him in a big blanket and sat next to him in the darkness. It was completely silent. Even the fountain had stopped. I sat there next to Fred's body and looked up at the dark hotel. It was the only time I remember actually hating the hotel.

Sophie came down. She stood silhouetted in the entrance and looked across the courtyard at me and Fred.

We didn't say anything as we dug, and we didn't look at each other. I shoveled and Sophie used the pick. I could hear her sobbing as she swung it, and the thudding of the pick in the earth of Ambrose.

We put Fred's toys in all around him.