Chapter 12.7

It took me all day to work up the guts to tell Sophie about Lucio and the Ape. When I finished telling her she looked like she was about to burst into tears. We never told Fred about it. I'm glad we didn't. He would have been devastated. He loved the Yape.

The next day there was a letter in the office, along with some money (more of those strange pounds), and the box of snooker balls. Two of the balls were broken, and the pink one was missing.

To the Managers,

In light of a personal Accident which makes it impossible for me to continue as a Guest, I have resolved to depart your Establishment. I am gravely sorry for any Inconvenience.

I am obliged to inform you that the Room has sustained considerable Damage; where such Damage has occurred I have attached detailed explanatory Notes. Please find enclosed, also, two hundred Pounds, which I hope constitutes adequate Recompense for the required Repairs.

As I plan to leave at Dawn on the morrow, I advise a speedy Response in Letter if further Action needs to be pursued by,

Your Humble Servant

The Great Lucio

Me and Sophie went straight to the typewriter.

To The Great Lucio,

We are very sory to hear about your personal Acident. You have our Deepest Simpathy. Please don't worry about the broken Things.

Your Hoteliers

Ben and Sophie

So that was how the Great Lucio left Ambrose without his Fantastic Ape of the Orient. I don't know what happened to him. I sometimes wonder if he found another Ape, or if he ever worked in a circus again.