Chapter 4: Why Do We Keep Seeing Each Other?

Ed could not recall the last time his heart pumps so fast.

Well...that wouldn't be exactly correct, as he DOES recall the last time his heart achieved the velocity of a bullet train with the brakes cut off, and it is when he sensed the presence of his dearest rival within a distance less than five hundred meters.

But he has digressed a bit from the main issue...

That is, he is about to meet the figures of considerable authority in Kuoh Academy. The very people who will decide if he is going to be a worthy enough to be officially recognized as a student of this thriving, highly regarded haven of education and spirited youths!

Just a few seconds ago, he was marching up the stairs with a smile unsurpassed by all and admired by many. But now, when presented with the set of oaken double doors in front of him, a spontaneous notion of fear wraps around his heart, and now he suddenly starts shaking like a just-rescued puppy from the streets.

"Clear your mind of doubts, Ed Sakari! This anxiety is unbecoming of such a spirited warrior like yourself!" Ed thought to himself, unbeknownst to the fact that in reality, he is outright shouting in an overly serious attempt of self-reassurement. Acting meek and appearing otherwise lacking in confidence will only damage the image of his unflappable  enthusiasm. In order to impress the Student Council, he must let his spirited exuberance burn as brightly as possible and outshine any possible doubts about his abilities!

"Hey, keep it down! Do you have any idea the disturbance you're causing? We have rules about that, you know!"

Ed was so preoccupied with hyping himself up that his well-honed senses fail to detect the presence of another behind him. Perking his head up and turning around, he comes face-to-face with a young man about his age, with youthful blond hair and oceanic blue eyes. Though shorter in height, he stands firm with a hand on his hip. He has the standard male uniform worn as well, although without the blazer. 

"Is that so? My most honest apologies!" As is his go-to approach to virtually any sign of hostility, Ed gives the young man a friendly wave and a dazzling smile that seems almost incandescent as he takes a single step towards him, striking an exub...

"Is that so? My most honest apologies!" As is his go-to approach to virtually any sign of hostility, Ed gives the young man a friendly wave and a dazzling smile that seems almost incandescent as he takes a single step towards him, striking an exuberant pose. "You see, my heart and soul was burning so hot with excitement and trepidation that I must placate them somehow! And this, I find to be the only sufficient way!"

Genshirou Saji physically flinches at Ed's sheer force of personality radiating off of him like an exposed nuclear reactor. However, he is also quick to correct his posture and returns to a more neutral expression, even if there is some lingering uncertainty on his face as to how to deal with somebody like Ed. So for now, he decides to avoid eye contact. "Uh...sure. You do you."

Studying Ed's features for a short moment, he comes to a realization. "Hey, aren't you the new guy?"

Ed, ever the cheery one, replies with fervor and a small leap. "Indeed I am! Ed Sakari, at your service!" He then gives a salute. "How did you know, my good man?"