Beauxbatons and Durmstrang - 71

Aphry

Beauxbaton's and Durmstrang most definitely knew how to make an entrance. 

The entire Hogwarts student body was impressed by the arrival of the extravagant flying carriage and ship that sailed underwater. Growing up in a magic household or not, those were things that were rarely seen.

We sat in the great hall, anticipating the introduction of our new guests and the welcome feast that followed.

"Now, as you all know," Dumbledore announced to us, "we have been awaiting the arrival of our guests to begin the Triwizard Tournament. Finally, the day has arrived. So, without further ado, may I present to you the students of Beauxbaton's Academy of Magic. With their headmistress, Madame Maxime."

The door to the great hall opened, and the students glided in elegantly with soft, gentle sighs as they made their way through the hall. I was surprised by the blue silk uniforms, which, although lovely, were seasonally inappropriate.

Draco, beside me, leaned over to me. "I think that silvery blonde is part veela," he whispered as they walked past.

She certainly was pretty, but I wasn't sure about the veela theory. "Really," I asked, looking at him with an eyebrow raised. "What makes you think that?"

His smirk deepened and he raised an eyebrow. "Look at Crabbe and Goyle." He nodded his head in their direction.

I looked across and down the table a bit at the two. Their mouths hung open as they shamelessly stared at her, and I swore that I saw a bit of drool fall from Crabbe's mouth.

My eyes were wide as I turned back to Draco. "Maybe you're right." I gave him a small, cheeky smile. "Well, in that case, why aren't you affected?"

His change in expression was extremely subtle, but I knew him far too well as the smile that reached his eyes dropped slightly. "Let's just say I prefer redheads."

Knowing that he meant me, the statement had the same effect as if he had reached into my chest and crushed my heart with his fist. I was so impacted I didn't even think to make a joke about him fancying Ginny Weasley. Huge missed opportunity.

They floated to the front of the hall, giving curtseys and bows once they were all upfront. Hogwarts students from every house clapped enthusiastically, and they sat at the Ravenclaw table.

"And now our friends from the North, please greet the students from Durmstrang and their headmaster, Igor Karkaroff."

The students entered the hall, boys and girls covered in heavy furs. Several of the boys carried walking sticks that sparked as they hit the ground.

As they approached the front near where we were sitting, Draco noticed a certain celebrity first. "That's Viktor Krum!" he muttered under the roar of the crowd.

I, however, was distracted by another student a recognized.

"Oh my God, Dimitri's here..."

"Wha.... son of a bitch," Draco said just as Dimitri's gaze caught mine. 

I smiled pleasantly at Dimitri as if I wasn't completely surprised to see him, and he returned my smile with a pleased smirk. 

The Durmstrang students all made their way to the front of the hall, with the same polite curtseys and bows, and the Hogwarts and Beauxbatons students applauded.

Dimitri grabbed one of his friends' shoulders, pointing to the empty spots at the Slytherin table right where we were sitting.

The Durmstrang students all came over, Dimitri sitting right next to me, then wrapping his arm around my shoulders and kissing my cheek. Even more surprising, Viktor Krum took a seat across from us. Draco's eyes bugged out of his head.

Dumbledore quickly announced that the tournament will begin at the end of the feast, and then all the food appeared.

"Moy Milaya," he said, using the Russian term of Endearment he was used to calling me. "I've missed you terribly."

With a smile on my face, I looked up at him. "I have as well. I didn't even realize you would be coming!"

He took my right hand, interlocking his hand in mine. "I wanted to surprise you."

I smiled, "I am surprised! I just thought only those eligible for the tournament would be coming."

He chuckled, looking at the sapphire ring he gave me. "Milaya, my birthday is in September. I am eligible."

A lot of information had to be processed at once. First, Dimitri was closer to three years older than me than two. And how aware of that age gap Lucius Malfoy and William Cytheria were was unknown to me, since they were so prone to keeping things from me.

Second, he was planning on entering a competition that would ensure him eternal glory. Even if he was only chosen as champion and didn't win, I already knew the instant social climb that it would bring him might cause a scandal with a broken engagement.

I only mildly panicked.

"These tournaments are so dangerous though," I protested mildly to try to discourage him. "I don't want to see you get hurt..."

He raised a brow, displeased by me speaking again his wishes. "Aphrodite," he said with a low voice, looking me directly in the eye with a serious, furrowed brow. "I am not passing on this opportunity. And this will not be debated." He then smiled, raising his voice so his other schoolmates could hear him.  "Now, Milaya, may I introduce you to my friends?" he said, then began with introductions.