Chapter Forty-Four

Evangeline Georgette DeCentum had suffered, for much of her life, the sensation of never being loved.

Her relationship with her Mother was strenuous at best. Her ties with her friends were fragile. Outside that, she had nothing.

But now she suffered the sensation of being loved. Of loving the person back. And though the feeling was entirely new, Angie was drunk on it.

He peered down at her, smoothing hair out of her face when her eyes opened.

"Morning."

"Good morning Ange. Any dreams?"

"No." She'd been at ease. "My brain's exhausted." And her body, for that matter. "Don't you get bored in the night?"

"No. My mind's busy. If I'm not watching you, I'm planning. We've got a big day baby. Gotta be prepared."

He gave her thigh a hearty squeeze and sat up.

Angie groaned, turning over to watch him. "I don't feel like walking. Maybe you should go on without me."

"Nice try, not happening. Up you get." He reached for her arm, but she snatched it back, refusing to move.

"No. Not yet. Just give me a minute."

"Your minute turns into another minute, then another minute and another minute after that. Get up Angie."

"Give me five minutes to wake up and then we'll talk about it."

"No. Get up."

He was serious.

Damn it.

Angie wasn't ready to face the less than adequate outdoors again. Not when her feet were still trying to heal from yesterday. She'd sooner stay in this tent forever where she didn't have to worry about what the future may hold.

Sure, he seemed to think he'd remember her, but what if he didn't? Beyond that, what happened when it came to them parting ways? Would he defy the rules of his world because he loved her? And what would happen when Angie continued to age?

"What if I convince you?" She asked, slowly teasing her legs open.

He pointedly avoided looking at her, refusing to open himself up to temptation. "You can't convince me. Get up."

"What if we tried for a repeat of last night?"

Angie knew what motivated him.

"The sex is going to be even better when I'm alive," He said with confidence. "The sooner you get up, the sooner that happens. When I can feel everything that bit more. And then, when you've driven me past breaking point, I'm going to lay down, close my eyes and go to sleep with you."

Just like he'd been longing to.

It was painful, watching her sleep. Sure, he loved watching, but he wanted to do it with her. To just relax and let go.

He needed his mind to relax the same way his body did.

"What about the nymphs?" She asked, a smirk growing.

"I'll give you fucking nymphs. Get up."

He threw clothes in her direction, shuffling towards the tent's exit.

"You're so annoying," She called after him, but he was already gone, escaping before she could seduce him into changing his mind.

Good lord, Angie seriously didn't want to do today.

She dressed as slowly as humanly possible, taking her merry time with the knowledge of what was to come. She prayed for another threat. Any obstacle that might slow them down. But none would come. She could feel it already.