Chapter Twenty-Eight

Angie took the demon's hand without waiting for Eros' say on the matter. The second he reached his hand out to her, she took it without hesitation.

Apparently, she'd recognised something in the demon King that she trusted. Either way, it did nothing to take from Eros' anger.

The dead angel God was positively fuming.

Her recklessness played one part in his anger. For all she knew, she'd walked them headfirst into a trap—but she hadn't thought about that when she'd taken Claudio's hand. She didn't so much as give it a second thought.

And yet that wasn't even the part that annoyed him the most.

It was the way she looked at the demon King as if he were an option. Sure, there was nothing going on between him and Angie—that she knows of. But come on! Just yesterday she'd had her legs flung over his body as she undressed for him. Angie was interested in him, not some overgrown dickhead demon King.

What did she see in him anyway?

Yeah, sure, he wasn't all that hard on the eyes—but in a brutal kind of way. His muscles were too large. Those proud battle scars were too brutal. Not to mention those fucking horns.

Angie didn't like horns. Wings, maybe, but he knew she wasn't into horns.

Angie needed someone malleable, like Eros. Eros, who'd figure out what turned her on and turned her off. Not some overly proud demon King who'd go in horns flaring.

Oh I'm sorry Evangeline. My brain cells were crushed by the weight of my horns. But you don't need a convo when you've got this dick.

Angie needed the brains and the talking too.

Besides, the demon King would have an eternal mate waiting for him sooner or later. He'd never be able to pick Angie. Not like Eros would.

Seconds later, their feet touched the ground in Claudio's castle. Angie stumbled, catapulting directly into that demon's arms.

He knew she wasn't clumsy. Angie was putting on a show, worming her evil way beneath his skin.

Eros' hands flexed to punch something. Especially when her hand curled around the demon's brawny bicep.

"Oh God. I'm so sorry. Look at me throwing myself at you already."

She gave him one of her dashing smiles. Why don't you put it all out there Ange? Flash him your knickers whilst you're at it. Could she be any more annoying?

Claudio smiled politely, eyes full of something knowing. "Don't worry about it. It happens."

"Thank you for catching me."

"It's my pleasure."

When she battered her eyelashes the demon King's way, Eros rolled his eyes.

"Well thank you anyway."

Beyond her 'stumbling' act, it was clear that Angie was tired. The effects of a portal jumper were hitting her hard again.

But one suggestion from her for that demon to be her pillow for the night and she'd be getting it.

Already, his hands readied to pull her back if she tried anything.

But Eros wasn't stupid. He knew what he was dealing with here, and Angie was putting it all on.

As she flirted and giggled, the other demon- Captain Caspian- turned to address the air.

"Eros, right?" Unbeknownst to the demon, Eros raised an eyebrow. "I'm told you've got a bit of a thing for the human girl, so no hard feelings about that knife thing." A bit of a thing for Angie? Understatement. But Eros couldn't find the right way to word it. Glancing to her now as she flirted with the brawny demon was enough to get his blood boiling. "We just had to be sure," Caspian said. "You know how it is." Of course he did. Even if the knife to Angie's throat had pissed him off, the mercenary demon had assured him they wouldn't pull anything. "I have a feeling you and I will be playing on the same team. Claudio wills it. So I'm sorry. No hard feelings about your mortal. We'll keep an eye out on her."