paris is for lovers (III)

It's drizzling. Possibly the greatest indication that Taylor's back in London. The crisp Parisian mornings have been traded for gray skies and miles of fog. Taylor and Adam flew back first class courtesy of Adam's company after he begged them to give Taylor a ticket.

They're picking at the remnants of their buckwheat crepes breakfast, both of them still feeling sluggish from their travels. "Wanna go for a hike when it clears up?" Taylor asks drowsily, twirling her fork.

Adam sets down his cup of black coffee dramatically. It hits the kitchen table with an audible thud. "Are you kidding?" he grouses. "We just got home yesterday. I need to catch up on rest before Dubai."

"Dubai?"

"Oh yeah, my performance review was so great that they put me in charge of the Dubai conference next weekend," Adam answers nonchalantly. He takes another nip of his coffee as if he's just shared the most casual piece of information.

Taylor may as well have been slapped across the face. Her cheeks feel hot and her stomach is churning all of a sudden. It hurts like hell to think that her boyfriend of two years doesn't even think to give her these kinds of life updates. They live together for fuck's sake.

Taylor can't even look at him right now. She doesn't want to be in the same room as him, breathing in all of this filthy air. She doesn't want to fight either. She doesn't have the energy for a screaming match and the subsequent forgiveness sex that would inevitably follow.

Taylor grabs her purse and earbuds off of one of the end tables and marches out the door. She doesn't even bother saying anything. She doesn't need to really, by now Adam has probably picked up on her habit of retreating to the grocery store when things get heated.

Taylor's in the produce aisle, "I Hate Everything About You" blasting through her earbuds, when she feels a hand graze her shoulder. She jumps but relaxes when she realizes it's only Joe and not some Tesco perv.

"Oh my god," she exclaims. "Long time no see!"

They hug and Taylor's relieved that it's not awkward at all. In fact, it's quite comforting having her torso pressed against his, breathing in his familiar scent.

"Ah I see you're listening to the ultimate rage anthem," Joe remarks. "Three Days Grace, eh?"

There's a pause and then without thinking Joe blurts out, "Does Adam support you?"

Taylor feels herself get whiplash. The temperature in the produce section must drop ten degrees. "I- of course he does," she stutters, gripping the shopping basket for dear life. 

Joe doesn't wait for Taylor to catch her breath just continues, his heart pounding, "You're so incredible, Taylor, and you just deserve the world....I don't know maybe I'm overstepping but after spending a few days with you and Adam I get the sense that your happiness is not at the top of his priorities list."

Taylor is flaming. She feels her eyebrow start to twitch and her jaw start to clench. She can't get over the nerve of Joe. Making all of these baseless accusations about her relationship, about her partner!

"No offense, but who the fuck do you think you are?" she spats. "Like I'm sorry, I get that you're trying to be a good friend or whatever but the last person that should be dishing out relationship advice is fucking "Panty Dropper Joe Alwyn". You haven't had a serious relationship in years, you dickhead. Let's not act like you give a single shit about priorities and boundaries because all you can handle is casual hookups. I appreciate the concern but for the record, Adam does support me!"

Joe watches her eyes glaze over and frowns. "What about London then, eh?" he retorts. "Why did you move there? You left your entire family and all your friends behind. Hell, even Adam had a whole life in Nashville that he up and ran from. I get that a relationship is about sacrifice, but it goes both ways. I'm worried that you're sacrificing too much, Taylor."