toast of the town

Joe hangs up the phone, his fingers trembling for some reason. And it's not an apprehensive kind of tremble. Not at all similar to the tremors he's been having late at night. No, this time, it feels like excitement is pulsing through his veins so rapidly and with so much force that it can't be contained. Swallowing hard, Joe scrolls back to the call log. He almost doesn't believe that this conversation with Lenny really happened. Perhaps he's dreaming. Perhaps he's in some sort of gluten induced hypnotic state. Perhaps he blacked out from all the homemade sourdough and misheard Lenny. Maybe Lenny was really calling to tell him that he appreciated his audition, but didn't think it'd work with his vision.

Joe squeezes his eyes shut. No, he can't be dreaming. Lenny's South Dublin accent sounded too real to be made up. And then, as if the heavens knew he needed reassurance, Joe's phone buzzes.

Lenny: Congrats again, man. I couldn't have imagined a better Nick. You're making my job easy. Talk again soon.

If it were even possible, the grin on Joe's face deepens. He screenshots the text for good measure and slides his phone into his pocket. He had planned to finish his book or maybe get in a good walk around the neighborhood before dinner, but now he's not entirely sure that's even possible given all of the adrenaline in his blood.

Joe exits the bedroom rather theatrically and pokes his head into the guestroom that's been converted into a makeshift recording studio.

"Did you just gallop?" a voice giggles.

Joe grins sheepishly at the smug look on Taylor's face. Her eyes are twinkling, no longer fixated on the microphone in front of her, but rather on her boyfriend's dimpled cheeks.

"Caught red-handed," Joe chuckles. "I'm channeling my inner horse." He leans against the door frame, doesn't want to come in and deter her from her work if she's in "the zone".

But Taylor motions for Joe to come in, a small smile spread across her face.

"How'd things go with Aaron?" Joe whispers into her ear. He's got two strong arms wrapped around her back.

"Good," Taylor exhales. She slinks back into Joe's arms and cocks her head so that she can plant a kiss on his face. "I'm knackered though."

Joe laughs quietly at her use of Britishisms- a product of their time together. "You're working hard, love. I'm proud of you."

Taylor blushes. "Thank you," she murmurs, her breath hot on his neck. "I couldn't do it without you."

Joe just stares at her, basking in the glow of her face. It's random, obscure moments like these where Joe suddenly gets confused, can't remember what he did right to end up in this kind of position. To have a partner who radiates so much love.

Taylor catches his staring and wiggles her brow. "What's up?" she muses. She tries to conceal the eagerness in her voice, but it's much too difficult. She knows that look all too well. And it's been a while since she's last seen it.

"Lenny called," Joe deadpans. He pauses- not just for dramatic effect- but to quell the lump that's now formed in his throat. "And I got the part."

Taylor's hands immediately clasp her face. She swivels around in her chair, but with so much force that it plummets to the ground. She's too excited to even register the fall and instead jumps to her feet, shrieking with joy.

"Oh my fucking god!" she squeals. "This is incredible! Fuck! Oh my god! This is insane! Ahh! Fuck! Babe! Babe! Oh my god! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!"

Joe starts to giggle at her antics. Watching her fist bump the air and catapult herself into his arms makes his smile creep up to his blue orbs.

They're kissing quite intensely, Taylor's teeth grazing Joe's earlobe, Joe's tongue pressing against the roof of her mouth.