sky high blue

trigger warning:/ references to fertility issues

"It's promising that her vitals are better today, I suppose," Andrea says half-heartedly.

"Mhm," Joe replies distantly. "For sure." His mother-in-law is talking to him in one ear, but it might as well be going out the other. He's too concentrated on his wife, doesn't want to spend one minute looking at anything other than her beautiful face. He wants to memorize every freckle, every blemish, every curve in her complexion.

Joe's spent most days sitting at her bedside, his hand clasped in hers, but the ICU Director just ordered him out of the room on the notion that she had been ordered a thallium scan.

Sighing heavily, Joe relented and retreated over to the tinted window where he now sits. Tree is on the other side of him, anxiously scrolling through her phone.

"You can take some time off," Andrea says slowly. "You've already done so much, Tree, flying out here and helping negotiate with the estate manager. Really, it's alright to take a minute. Joe and I talked and decided not to make any further arrangements. We just want to spend time with her."

With slightly trembling hands, Tree slides her phone into her coat pocket. Truth be told, she needs to throw herself into her work, needs to remain in communication with the tabloids and stay on top of Twitter trends and security threats. A moment away from work is a moment dedicated to thinking about the night of the call. A moment dedicated to thinking about life after her and what that would even look like. Would life even go on?

"Your mom's in the lobby with some food," Andrea murmurs after a few minutes. "She's on her way up with your dad's famous meatballs."

"Nice," Joe coughs. He forces out a smile. He's appreciative of his parents' gesture, really. They've been so supportive the past few days, dropping anything and everything to be here for him. But sometimes these little gestures get to be too much, whatever the reason. 

***

"Bye, Mum!"

Joe and Taylor stumble over to the taxi cab, slightly inebriated from the bottle of Pinot Grigio that Liz cracked open.

Taylor slides into the backseat and pats the aluminum container in her hands, giggling quietly.

"Gosh, I'm sorry that my dad made you take home all of those meatballs," Joe grouses. "He's a bit obsessed with them. It's his signature dish and he usually only makes them around the holidays, so when he sends you with leftovers it just means that he really likes you. His meatballs are the equivalent of honorary knighthood if you will."

Taylor laughs. "Honorary knighthood? Well now I'm flabbergasted."

Joe smiles. Taylor's been such a good sport this entire evening- sitting through Patrick's rant about a troubled kid in his class, his mother's constant doting, and now this.

"Believe me, I won't be offended if you throw them out, T," Joe assures his girlfriend. "They're just ground meat and breadcrumbs."

"Throw them out?!" Taylor gasps in mock horror. "As if! I could never let your dad's prized meatballs go to waste, especially now that I know their significance."

Joe shakes his head in disbelief. He can't get over how quickly Taylor has caught on to his family's dynamic.

"Look, you can even eat meatballs in the car," Taylor says suddenly, her now mouth full of meatball goodness, her fingers coated in marinara sauce. "Delicious!"

"You are insane," Joe laughs, pulling a napkin out of his pocket. "And maybe a bit drunker than I thought."

"You gotta try one, babe," Taylor giggles. "Come on, open up!"