Prologue

You don't know how it started. Only that it happened.

It seemed most things about your life were this way- you heritage, magic, the scars you carry, your fragments of memories- even the way reality bleeds into your dreams. Well, perhaps not reality- just a single figure.

Loki.

With his help, you've been uncovering what lies beneath the haze which your mind is constantly in. You couldn't remember your childhood, family- homeworld, even. Though you've only known your life on Earth, it felt as though you never quite belonged. And when Loki claimed your magic held overwhelming similarities to his own, the theory of Asgardian heritage developed.

Although, this was just a theory. Hydra made sure you never guessed anything more. For years you spent your time there, being broken and rebuilt to their purpose. All they ever wanted was your magic- which, once they discovered it, attempted any and every way to strengthen it.

Leading to experiment after experiment of trying to meld your powers to those of the Tesseract. So that you could hold endless power- and those who control you could wield it.

Fortunately, Hydra fell at the hands of Captain America before this ever happened. You were rescued from the base, taken to Shield to help manage the newly formed organization. Under the amazing Peggy Carter, of course.

Around this time, the dreams started. At first you didn't recognise them, thinking nothing of a raven haired bystander, or an emerald-eyed witness to some astounding dream you managed to create.

You actually discovered the connection during one of his dreams. You were on the steps of a golden castle, leading down towards a small renaissance-style market. A small boy was begging his father for a book, beautifully engraved with golden finishes. That is- before he turned and saw you, clad in your midgardian clothing and messy hair. The boy instantly ran off, a feeling settling inside you to follow him. You arrived at a clearing, facing what you could only assume had become of the boy.

The tall, handsome, mischievous Loki.

Of course, this dreamy occurrence continued every night. Each of you were the dreamers, able to bend and control the world around you to your whims. You could show each other any place you created, whether in real life or just a scene out of a book. You would talk for hours through the night, about any and every little impossible thing of your lives.

And, inevitably, a friendship developed. Loki discovered your magic, able to start teaching you during dream-world lessons. You taught him what Midgardian things you've learned, filling him in on all the gossip- or simply ranting about your coworkers after a long day at work.

As all things do, the two of you reached a point which your relationship bordered on that of a personal one. A romantic one. The two of you faced two options.

Throw away every night you've had together-

Or make every night count more than simply the endless talks and new places.

You chose, together, to take this strange connection you held to the next level. A relationship grew, the two of you growing with it.

Until early in the year 2011, when Nick Fury reached out to see if you might provide some form of insight about the strange Space rock. Although you had some experience with the Tesseract, none of your knowledge could prepare you for what happened.

You stepped into the examining room, finding Nick, Coulson, and many other Shield employees studying the strange energy wafting off the stone. They turned towards you, anyone knowing your name raising their eyebrows in surprise. To them, you were some 100 years old by now, though still not appearing a day over twenty.

For all your years of wisdom, you never doubted what might happen if you stepped too close to the cube. Nothing ever happened to the other humans- who's to say something would happen when you approached it? The only warning was a bright flash of blue, before the energy attached itself to your magic.

It wasn't the tesseract. You knew it wasn't. This- this was something different. Only using the Tesseract's energy to guide its own way straight to you. And it burned. For all five seconds you remained conscious. Before dropping cold to the floor, locked in a deep slumber.

From what you could guess, from that point on the world decided to lose their shit. Fury and the other Shield folk moved your unconscious body to a holding facility, hiring any of the best doctors to take care of you. For a year you slept, locked in a dreamless state. Which, unknowingly, would lead to Loki's mind void of any sign of you. One second, your relationship is going well. The next one passes, and you've completely disappeared.

Then, the New York attack. You wanted to blame yourself for all his pain- though it was difficult to uphold that theory on your own. You remained unconscious through the battles, moving to the Avengers tower once it was rebuilt. Everyone knew Loki's name now, if only spoken in hushed whispers. You could only figure he had been sent back to Asgard to pay for his crimes against humanity.

As much as they talk about how horrible he is- you still doubted the Loki you knew ever doing any of this. You never brought it up, though. Not even when you awoke, just a month after your transfer. Whatever energy you had battled with the Tesseract seemed to have been absorbed into you, settling deep in your power reserves where you might never be able to reach it.

The first few nights after your awakening were dreamless. Until suddenly, you were in a ballroom. You recognised it as one of the places Loki imagined, looking around for the prince. And finding him holding out a hand, asking you to dance.

Every night followed just the same. You would dance in whatever place the two of you appeared, alone- or in front of crowds. Loki never wanted to talk- however much you tried to convince him- only to hold you tight in his arms.

Weeks passed, the Avenger team slowly becoming a family. Natasha trained you in every way she thought possible, as well as answering any questions about the past year that you thought of. You befriended Steve Rogers, one of the only ones who had seen the more gruesome effects Hydra's experimentation had on you.

Eventually, just as they had started, your dreams of Loki vanished. During the day, you poured yourself into your Avenger work. And at night... you tried to hold back the immense feeling of loss gripping your heart.

Thor stayed in Asgard ever since he took Loki back to face Asgardian justice, the months since you awoke passing with no sign of life from him. No way to contact the brother of your love, just to know if he was still alive. Why else would Loki disappear? Nothing but a dreamless night ever separated the two of you- or in your case, a dreamless coma.

The days continued to pass, just over two weeks of Loki-less nights having crawled by. When suddenly Thor reappeared on Midgard- with no brother in sight. The team greeted him fondly, setting up a place for him to stay within minutes. He refused to speak about the events of Asgard- or even those of a mischievous relative.

Loki was just... gone.