Extra Scene -- Personhood

A/N: You get extra for enduring my rant on the last chapter <3

A/N 2: This edit comes waaayy after first writing this chapter, but I just wanted to say that I see all of you new readers and voters on my story and it really means a lot. When I first started posting this, I had almost all of it written but I had no expectations of even one reader. But knowing that you guys like it makes me a lot happier than I thought it would, and with being so stressed from school, it's exactly what I need. Thank you! Have an extra scene before tomorrow's chapter.

* * *

There was one other thing that happened that day.

"Master Skywalker," Taska said quietly, trying her absolute best not to disturb him. She hoped he didn't hold a grudge against her for the Hardeen mission. "I don't want to bother you, but I have a question."

He stared at her for a moment. "What is it?" He finally responded, rather impatiently.

"You are... you have worked with Senator Amidala of Naboo before, have you not?"

"I've assisted her on a number of diplomatic missions of hers that have a tendency to go awry." He sounded like he was testifying in court.

"Would you know of a way I would be able to contact her? I have an interest in just one specific piece of legislation that I think would be best to discuss with her," she said politely.

"She's a very busy woman," he told her, but relented as he saw her absolute patience. "Her office hours are from 1500 to 1900 Coruscant Standard. Not officially, obviously, but she usually stays later than the official closing hours of the Senate building. Here's her office address."

"Thank you, Master Skywalker," She placated, copying the information onto her own datapad. "May the Force be with you."

Taska didn't allow herself to rest when they landed on Coruscant, having gained a few fretful hours on the cruiser. Most of the transport time had been spent thinking about exactly what she would say to the Senator, exactly how desperately she would plead for her men's freedom.

The sun was still visible through the clustered skyline of the city, and without even looking at a chrono, Taska knew she had at least an hour to speak to Senator Amidala. She hurried off the gunship that took them to the Temple's landing pad, not bothering to give Ace an explanation beyond, "Something important." It wasn't as if he would ask for details, anyway.

"The Senate building is closing in ten minutes, ma'am," a Senate guard posted at one of the entries said.

"I know, but I have important business," she flashed the Grand Army of the Republic card that identified her as a Jedi General. "I won't be very long."

"Oh, understood," the guard said, though Taska knew it was insincere—could he not see the lightsaber at her hip? He moved aside, and she nodded to him graciously as she passed.

"Excuse me, trooper," she said as politely as she could, feeling guilty for not being able to address him by name. "Could you help me? I'm trying to find this office."

"Oh, Senator Amidala's office? Sure, right away! She might be busy, though," The trooper said brightly. "Just fair warning."

"Thank you," she smiled. "What's your name?"

"Joda'rr, sir," the young clone grinned.

"Nice to meet you, Joda'rr, I'm Taska Rokanh," she introduced herself. "Do you know Senator Amidala?"

"Well, we all know her a bit, sir," he explained. "She's always nice to us, but that's just the kind of person she is."

"That's good," Taska nodded thoughtfully. "Hopefully she'll be able to help me, then."

"Usually the Senate is asking for the Jedi's help," Joda'rr observed, a bit comically.

"Ah, we all have to find ways to help each other," she shrugged as she laughed lightly along with him, despite the nervous feeling in her stomach.

"Here you are, sir," Joda'rr gestured to an office door that, aside from the number, looked exactly like every other door they had passed.

"Thank you again, Joda'rr," she said sincerely.

"No problem sir, if you need help again, I'll probably still be on patrol when it's time for you to leave," he nodded. She watched for a moment as the shock trooper retreated down the hallway, gathering herself.

She knocked on the door, and it swung open almost immediately, revealing... the senator? No, Taska didn't think it was the senator from the holos she had seen, but she looked remarkably similar. "Hello, my name is Taska Rokanh," she said. "I would like to speak to Senator Amidala." She hoped her voice didn't sound too cold or professional.

"One moment, please." From the other side of the door, she heard a muffled, "Senator, there's a Jedi here to see you."

"An—Knight Skywalker? I thought he wasn't back on Coruscant."

A smile was in the aide's voice. "No, not Skywalker. She says her name is Rokanh."

"Oh, well, it's quite unusual to be contacted by a Jedi outside of my hours. Let her in." The Senator sounded a bit tired, but not overwhelmed. That was good.

"Come in," the aide opened the door again, and moved aside.

"Thank you."

"Thank you, Moteé," Senator Amidala said as she made her way into the office. "Hello, Master Jedi. What can I help you with?"

"Taska will do fine," she said quickly. "I don't want to take up too much of your time, Senator, I know you're busy, so I will just... just tell you what it is I need.

"A few weeks ago, there was... an incident, with my men, which I really hope had not occurred. I strongly believe that what happened to this clone, Mags, wasn't his fault, and he was dealt with too harshly. The way the clones are treated by the Republic has bothered me since the beginning of the war, but I don't think it was until this happened that I could see how deeply it affected them, as well. I come to you as part of a promise I made to my commander and friend. I know that Jedi are supposed to keep themselves separate from politics, but... I know that you are a good person and know how to make your voice heard.

"Is there any way that you can help make sure the clones are treated like real people?"

"Taska, I'm so glad you asked," a smile spread across Amidala's face, and she could tell it was genuine. "Sometimes, I wonder about the feelings of the Jedi towards their soldiers, but I agree that their treatment is overall, less than ideal. I actually have several bills in the works, though some are less ready for the floor than others."

"Thank you, Senator," Taska nodded sincerely. "If you're comfortable discussing them, I would be more than happy to listen, but I understand that you're busy—"

"No, no, please, it's good to speak to a Jedi. I only usually have sparse dealings with the Council or a few knights. I'd like to get a better understanding of the whole Knighthood," Padmé insisted. "Would you like to talk in one of the gardens? They're very beautiful."

* * *

They talked into the night, Taska almost being startled when she noticed the lights in the garden had automatically come on in the darkness. When she left, she wasn't even sure really what they had talked about—it seemed personal, but in a carefully guarded way. Of course they couldn't be expected to trust each other completely; they had only just met. The Jedi knew she had eagerly answered the questions Senator Amidala had about the Jedi Order, questions which were surprisingly deep and probing. She wasn't sure, however, if when she left she truly understood all the twisted work that went into making a case with the Senate. But that was why she asked Amidala for help.

The one thing that Taska was sure of at the end of the night was that she was one step closer to doing all that she could, all that she should, for her precious—no, not precious, just... deserving of justice—clones.