Chapter 19 -- Healing

A terrifying encounter. During a failed mission to steal valuable Separatist information, Taska Rokanh and Commander Ace faced an experience closer to death than either of them have come before. With this great risk taken, the two begin to question their place and rights in this war.

Taska jerked awake in the medbay, immediately regretting it. The bright lights assaulted her eyes, and she leaned back with a groan.

"It's alright, General, you're alright," A'den assured from her bedside. "Can you open your eyes for me?"

It took a few seconds, but she managed it. He shone a small light in her eyes before quickly shutting it off and making a note. "You have a concussion, sir. Not much I can do about that now, but you should get some rest."

She nodded after a delay, looking up at him as though she wanted to say something. "Is there anything else, sir?" he asked patiently.

"Ace?" She asked simply, the terrifying moment of finding him completely unconscious burned in the front of her brain.

A'den grimaced. "We're headed straight back to Kamino," he started. "We'll be able to treat him better there, not to mention there are a lot of other troopers that need help—"

She blinked at him. "How is he?" she asked, pushing through the fog in her brain in an effort to sound cohesive.

He stepped out of her line of sight. Behind him, on the bed next to hers, was Ace, hooked up to what seemed like a thousand machines. "What's—what's wrong?" she insisted.

"Fractured right tibia, fractured right ulna, several cracked ribs, bruised collarbone, head trauma, I'm not sure to what extent, and," he sighed. "A collapsed lung."

Her heart monitor picked up its pace. "There's nothing to worry about, General. There's no air left in the lung, which is good. He'll be fine once he's operated on, and in the meantime the ventilator helps. What he needs is his general to be healthy and well rested."

She nodded, sure his logic made sense, but she couldn't stop the worry from spiraling. Eventually, the concussion overpowered her will, and she slept until they arrived on Kamino.

* * *

She was healed in a few hours, most of which were spent in painful quiet amongst the cold machines and somehow colder Kaminoans.

"You are free to leave now, Master Jedi," the Kaminoan doctor told her.

"Thank you. Could you please tell me where I could find Master Ti? I would like to speak with her before I go."

"I believe she is watching some cadets in the citadel right now," the doctor answered placidly.

"Okay." Taska hesitated. "Do you know how CT-3135's treatment is going?"

"I'm sure he will be healed," she offered, and Taska could tell no real answers would come from the Kaminoan.

Once she dressed herself once again in her own clothes, she made her way through the sterile white hallway until she found Master Ti exiting a training session. "Hello, Master," she said with a forced smile.

"Little one," she said, setting a hand gently on her shoulder. "I sense there is something troubling you."

She took a deep breath. "It's just been a long day, Master," she excused herself. "I've only just recovered from a concussion."

Shaak Ti glanced at her with her mirror-like eyes. "I don't think that is it, but I believe you will work through this just as you always have."

Taska glanced at the ground. "Thank you for your faith, Master. Do you... do you think you could let me know what room Ace is being treated in? Or at least his condition?"