Chapter 24 -- Bets

A war is not always fought on the battlefield—it is fought sometimes in the minds of those on the front lines.

"General," Ace said, coming up behind Taska in the corridor.

Her head snapped up. "Hm?"

"I was just going to tell you that we're a bit behind on our reports and planning," he said. "Are you alright?"

"Just tired, commander," she told him. "It feels like there's never a restful moment on this cruiser." They had been in the Outer Rim for weeks, though both of them wanted to return to Coruscant. Ace had let his facial hair grow out, which looked a bit strange on him, but Taska knew that it wasn't lack of resources that had made the change.

"I know how you feel, general," he related, absentmindedly running a hand across his beard. "This shouldn't take too long. We could stop by the mess for some caf before we start."

"That sounds good to me, Ace."

* * *

"Your thoughts are running wild," Taska said gently as the two worked side by side.

"Hm?"

"You worry a lot," she said, setting down her datapad. "I know how it feels; I do too. You worry about Mags—all your brothers, actually."

"We don't have to talk about that," Ace said, and instantly regretted it. "I'm sorry, that's no way to speak to you, General."

"It's alright," Taska assured him.

"It's just... Mags was a good soldier. Right?"

"Of course," Taska answered without hesitation. All of her men were her friends, and Mags had shown himself to be a dedicated leader.

"He lived his whole life, up until a week ago, for the Republic. He would die for it any day, I'm sure of it.

"So is it really such a crime for him to choose to do something that made him happy? I mean, for kriff's sake, if they hadn't found out where he was, they just would've replaced him with another brother and called it a day," Ace vented, looking distressed—more distressed than Taska had seen him even when he had been shot.

Taska hummed and nodded. "I'll work on it," she promised, setting a hand on his shoulder, which he jumped slightly at. "I'll try to talk to senators who are sympathetic to your cause—Senator Amidala, for certain—I'll discuss it with my master, you know, um... I'll just do everything I can think of. You're men, heroes of the Republic. You deserve to be treated like it."

Ace nodded in agreement, visibly deflating some. He was grateful to hear that his general agreed with him—he wasn't sure he could have continued under her command otherwise, and he wanted to stay.

* * *

"Commander," Zevi ran into the room. "General Windu is contacting us."

"Oh, of course he is," Lark said, standing up. "Let's see how this goes."

Taking a deep breath, he answered the transmission. "Hello, General," he said, saluting. "What do you need?"

"Commander, I have a message for Master Rokanh. Where is she?" General Windu asked impatiently.

"Oh, um... the general is unavailable at the moment, sir," he reported.

"Fine, just get me Commander Ace so he can relay the message," he said.

"The commander is unavailable as well, sir. I can tell them whatever it is you need, though, general."

"What?" General Windu demanded. "How can both of your commanding officers be unavailable?"

"It's a long story, sir, but you shouldn't worry. I'll relay the message and they can act on it as fast as possible," Lark said, briefly glancing behind the hologram.

"What are you looking at, commander," Windu asked, his tone nearly dangerous.

"Nothing, sir," he assured quickly, hoping not to wake the general and commander, who at this point had been asleep (on each other) in the chairs on the bridge for four hours—and counting, one of his brothers sitting near them said.

"Where is Master Rokanh!"

A sharp breath came from the chairs. General Rokanh was the first to startle awake, looking confusedly around before brushing hair out of her face, focused on the hologram of the Council member.

"Sorry about that, Master Windu," she said quickly. "The commander and I were just working on some strategy and catching up on reports, and I guess the commander didn't want to disturb us," she shot a look at Lark. He nodded sheepishly. "What was it that you needed to tell us?" She asked, hoping the red mark on her cheek wasn't too visible in the blue projection.

Ace stayed seated, glaring daggers at Zevi, who had faithfully kept track of the time.

"What are you doing, sir?" he asked.

"Thinking of the best way to punish you," Ace whispered.

"Thank you for your message, Master Windu," Taska said, before quickly ending the transmission. "And where do you think you're going, soldier?" She turned to Lark, who was trying to slip out of the room.

"I'm sorry, General," Lark prefaced. "It wasn't my idea—"

"I don't care whose idea it was, Lark. I suppose I should thank you for letting us get some rest," she told him. "But I want half of the winnings from any bets you've made."

"Bets, sir?"

"Yes, bets. I know how your minds work, Lark. Do you really think I wouldn't pay attention? Pass the message on to your men, too."

Lark grinned. "Yes, General. Thank you, General."

Ace looked at her from where he sat, Zevi already gone. "I couldn't have come up with a better idea myself," he grinned. "Do I get any of those credits?"

"Of course, commander. It's the only fair compensation."