Chapter 8

It was nearly midday before Riley heard Kitty emerge from Emilie's room. He looked up from his book and leaned out of his chair to call "good morning" down the hallway but was silenced by what he saw. Kitty was wrapped tight in her bathrobe with her back bowed. She shuffled her feet as though she could barely walk. Graggy was less stiff in the mornings. Maybe Dr Gnudsen was right to be worried.

Kitty headed straight down the hall and into the bathroom. He heard the shower start, tried to read, but he couldn't concentrate. When the shower stopped, he went to the kitchen and set out the croissants and fruit he'd picked up on his run.

"Morning," he said when she joined him in the kitchen. "Did you sleep okay?"

"Mmhm." She gave him a smile with her not-quite-lie. He thought about picking her up on it but she was walking freely now, and reached across the table for a croissant without wincing, so he let it go. "When did you go to the bakery?"

"Around seven, on my way back from my run."

"You ran at seven? We didn't go to bed till two."

"I can't sleep much past six, even if I've been up all night." He filled her glass with orange juice.

"Aren't you up all night a lot? You must be chronically sleep deprived."

"One of the perks of the job."

Kitty startled as her phone rang. She pulled it out and showed Riley the caller ID.

"Hey Sean," she said, answering. "I'm good, you?... Last night? Sorry, I wasn't home. Riley and I came down to Graggy's for the weekend... Actually she's not here – we didn't realise we were competing with Gilbert and Sullivan in the city... Really? Can you change your plans like that?... Yes! That would be great! One sec." She put her hand over the phone and beamed at him. "He's saying they could come up, today and stay too, if that's okay."

His first thought was that it would risk Sean seeing what he had seen half an hour ago, but she was almost glowing at the idea and he couldn't think of a reasonable excuse to stop them coming.

Two hours later Sean's car pulled into Graggy's drive and Riley couldn't help but think it was an impressive feat of organisation with two children. Even without the Friday night traffic the drive alone took over an hour. Riley was relieved to see Kitty almost skip across the lawn to Daisy's door but noticed her flinch as she leaned in to unbuckle the little girl's seat belt. Daisy threw her arms around Kitty's neck. "Carry me Auntie Kitty!"

"Sweetie I'd love to but my shoulder's still a bit sore. I can help you get down like a big girl, though."

To Riley's relief, Daisy agreed. Felicity greeted him with a kiss then followed Kitty and Daisy inside, leaving Riley with Sean assessing the remaining luggage, in the back of the four-wheel drive.

"What the hell are you doing?" Sean said.

Riley hadn't had a chance to even pick up a bag.

"Helping with your luggage?"

"Don't play dumb. You've been bringing women here to seduce them since you got a driving licence."

Riley gawped at him, anger flaring.

"Is that why you got here so fast," Riley said, "to chaperone us?"

"Kitty may not have seen that side of you, but I have, and you're not going to do that to her. You didn't know Graggy wasn't here? Please."

"You think I lied to– I brought girls here when I was a teenager, Sean. Maybe you haven't noticed but I'm a grown man now, with my own apartment and everything."