Chapter 4

Elizabeth set the letter down on the counter. Who would send me a letter? She thought. She didn't know anyone who would take the time to compose a letter. It was such an old tradition that there isn't even a postal system anymore. Who ever sent the letter knew their history, the envelope had her address on it and was stuck shut.

Gingerly, she started to open the envelope, not wanting to tear it. Elizabeth opened the envelope and pulled out a pink price of paper folded into thirds. When she unfolded it and found that it was written by hand! Some one has written by hand and in cursive too! The letter read:

Dear Elizabeth,

It's been a long time, has it not? I have missed my friend greatly. I here of all your accomplishments from the news but I wish I could here about them from you, but you are so hard to reach these days. Have you had fun? I know you used to send me messages, but I would never answer.

When you first left I thought you were the most inconsiderate human being alive. But now I have come to my senses. I'm sorry. I sorry that I haven't answered or made and effort to comfort you in your worst days. I'm sorry I couldn't visit or send you gifts. I regret every thing now.

You are leaving soon and I was hoping we could make amends. I'm going to be in Houston next month looking at finishing my education there. I was hoping it would be ok if I stopped by. Even if you say no I will still come. This could be my last chance to see you again. Ever. I hope to see you soon!

Your Forever Friend,
Charlie

Elizabeth set the letter down with shaking hands. She had given up on Charlie a year ago. She would send a message every once and awhile to keep him up to date but he never answered. They had been best friends for years and right before she was selected by the government to be part of this project, the relationship had taken a romantic turn. If Elizabeth had to miss any one it would be Charlie, even though she hasn't communicated with him at all in the past year.

Him coming to Houston would complicate things. But where is he getting the money to get the education? Wondered Elizabeth. His family is poor and he never scored well on tests, the government wouldn't bother to fund his education. X-13 came into the room as she studied the letter.

"There will be no training today" X-13 startled Elizabeth so much that she jumped out of her chair.

"No training!? Are you s-" Elizabeth stammered out.

"There will be a lesson." X-13 cut her off.

"But I passed all my lessons with flying colors! There are no more!"

"The lesson won't be Academic, it will be on relationships. You will be spending the entire day in a ten by ten room with Adam and Sarah" Elizabeth tried to cut in but X-13 just kept talking."The reason for this lesson is because of the increasing tension between the three of you."

"You have got to be kidding me!" Exclaimed Elizabeth angrily. "I'm not spending an entire day in a room with the those assholes!"

"You must if you want to continue with your training." Sometimes Elizabeth hated being friends with a robot, they only spoke the truth.

"But I don't want too!!"

"You must." Elizabeth knew that fighting would be pointless. She knew that there was no getting out of this.

"Fine, I mean it will only last a few hours right?"

***

Elizabeth practically threw herself into her bed. She didn't want to think about what had happened, but the memories surfaced anyway.

"Heeyyyy space buddy!" Called out Sarah. She waved excitedly at Elizabeth. It took Elizabeth a money to figure out that she was waving at her.

"Heeyyy! Ready to have a good time working on our relationship?" Elizabeth rolled her eyes at Sarah's mindless babbling.

"Ya we will be come besties! We can paint each other's nails and do each other's hair!" Elizabeth decided to play along.

"OMG y-" Right as Sarah started to respond, Adam walked by and spat straight in her face. Sarah started laughing as Elizabeth's vision turned red. Adam smirked at her knowing that Elizabeth wouldn't do anything, this job meant to much to her.

Elizabeth slowly wiped his spit off her face. She was almost shaking with rage as she tried to calmly wiped her hand on her clothes. With out saying anything, she just walked away.

She could hear Sarah and Adam laughing behind her as she walked down the hallway and exited the training room.