59 | celebration

The morning sun casts its ray, making my eyes flicker

The morning sun casts its ray, making my eyes flicker. I wake up, immediately greeted by the warm sunlight coming into my room through my windows.

My eyes fall on the girl snuggling next to me. Nevaeh. She's still sleeping soundly.

A smile touches my lips. I gaze at her peaceful sleeping face, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. She looks so beautiful even when she's sleeping.

We were watching movies until late at night, so she definitely needs more time to rest. I don't want to wake her up just yet.

It seems impossible that I was struggling to sleep last night. I remember dozing off while she was in my arms.

Fuck. I feel like I can gaze at her forever.

Watching her sleep like this brings so much peace and calmness to me that I don't even know how to explain it.

While her eyes are still closed, Nevaeh's brows suddenly furrow. Her eyelids flicker, and she slowly opens her eyes. My heart thumps as I stare into those pretty blue skies.

But then, those eyes widen in shock.

Nevaeh abruptly sits up on my bed, and I immediately do too. My heart is racing.

"Oh my God, what time is it?" Nevaeh snaps her head toward the clock hanging on the wall.

It shows midday, and her jaw drops. I gawk at the clock.

Wait, what? It's fucking midday already? Why the fuck did I not notice that?

Clearly, it was something that didn't cross my mind for the past few minutes.

"Oh my God." Nevaeh quickly gets out of my bed, almost stumbling. "I'm late for my class."

Fuck. I'm late for work.

Nevaeh rushes out of my room, I follow her like a lost puppy. My body reacts faster than my brain.

When Nevaeh and I pass the dining room, we both stop in our tracks. There on the dining table lie so many dishes.

My mouth drops open as I stare at all the food. I've never seen a dining table so full with a lot of appetizers, main courses, and desserts.

Ian is humming happily. He's placing more plates on the table that I wonder how the heck it's going to fit. Ashton and Sam are already settled on the dining table, sipping their coffee.

"What is this all about?" I ask.

Ian looks up, and his face brightens even more the moment he sees us. "It's a celebration. Come. Have a seat, both of you."

I'm at a loss for words.

My gaze darts to the clock. "I'm late." It's the only thing I can say.

Ashton puts his cup of coffee back on the table with a loud thud and smirks proudly. "Don't worry. I've canceled all your appointments today. Everything in the office is settled."