35 | jealousy

When the evening comes, I'm already back to pick up Nevaeh from college

When the evening comes, I'm already back to pick up Nevaeh from college. Sam parks my car near the gate, and from this spot, I can see the students heading in and out of the place.

It's been quite a long time since I wandered around campus. I finished my study a long time ago and was in charge of Klein Enterprise straightaway.

While I'm waiting for Nevaeh inside the car, I see students talking and laughing with their friends. They look so carefree.

I was once like them, enjoying my life to the fullest.

This kind of atmosphere should remind me of all the good memories, but there's a reason why I'm not fond of this kind of place. It only reminds me of where it all started.

The three of us. Me, Olivia, and Roman.

I've never said that I didn't enjoy my youth.

In fact, I did. I'd felt fulfilled. Contented. Blissed.

We were best friends. The three of us.

We studied in the same university. What more could I ask when I'd already had my best friend who always had my back and the woman I loved by my side?

I'd felt complete.

Until it all crumbled into pieces. Until they left me on the most important day of my life with nothing else to remember but a shattered heart.

Now, I hate to watch this scene in front of me. It tells me that this pain hasn't healed. While watching students walking out through the gate, all I can see is myself with Olivia and Roman heading to a bar across the street, laughing as we talk about our days.

But no matter how bad I don't want to remember my college life, this university gate is where Nevaeh will show up to meet me.

My eyes finally spot her familiar figure and blonde hair. She walks toward the gate, and my heart is immediately on alert.

What I haven't expected to see, however, is a guy walking beside her.

Nevaeh waves at her girlfriends, who walk off in the direction of the parking lot. But the guy doesn't.

The two of them talk about something. I can't ignore the fact that she's talking animatedly and that he gazes at her with so much adoration.

Before I know it, I'm already out of my car. I slam the door shut while my eyes still focus on them.

Now that I look more closely at Nevaeh and this guy, I can guess why he doesn't leave yet.

He doesn't want to leave her waiting alone on the street.

A burst of laughter leaves Nevaeh's lips when he jokes about something. He then ruffles her hair, and she giggles.

My heart clenches with something that I can't bear. Pain.