39 | clash

AN:
Hi guys, thank you so much for your support for my family. And thank you for staying on this journey with Aiden and Nevaeh. I love you ❤

***

I sit back at my desk after long hours of meetings

I sit back at my desk after long hours of meetings. Today has been quite hectic in the office. There are many agreements to be reviewed, and I have to make sure that all of them will be executed timely.

My watch indicates that it almost reaches evening. I remember that it was around this time that I picked Nevaeh up from college yesterday.

I wonder how her day has been. Does she enjoy it? Does she have a long day? Is it tiring like mine?

I should ask her myself, but what happened yesterday makes me want to deny everything.

I don't message Nevaeh, but I shoot Sam a text to ask where he is. He doesn't respond, and I put my phone back on my desk.

I close my eyes and throw my head back against the chair. What the hell is wrong with me?

Why does it matter whether she's back home or not?

She's not a child, and I'm not even her guardian.

It's not like she's the one I want to see when I come back home. Neither is she the reason why I want to leave work early every day.

Right?

I'm fully aware that my mind is a fucking mess right now.

Sam has never ignored my message, so it bothers me while I'm trying to get back to work. Just when I'm about to reply to an e-mail, my phone buzzes.

Sam: I'm in a coffee shop. Nevaeh is doing her homework here.

He's typing a message but then stops. It goes on like that for about two minutes, which makes my frown go deeper the more seconds pass.

Sam: I'm sorry, boss. She's with the guy you met yesterday.

My jaw tightens.

Had I not met Kai yesterday, I wouldn't have been this triggered. But I've met him, and it's crystal clear that he likes her. Don't fucking ask me how I know that -- it's like spotting an elephant in the middle of a deserted field.

After Sam sends me the texts, the next ones pop up like spam.

Sam: Everything's under control

Sam: I've got this

Sam: No need to worry

Sam: I've handled it

Sam: They're not going to his apartment

Sam: They're on my radar

Sam: I won't even blink