Chapter IV - Festival

It was the morning of the festival and I watched from the window the people of the town get ready for the upcoming day. I heard Zach downstairs scampering about the house. It was my normal duty to set breakfast up for him and see him off, but after last night's affair, I did not want to see him or explain myself.

I sat on my bed still teary eyed from last night. The morning sun rose from beneath the earth and started to rise in the twilight of the sky. I could feel the sun's rays on my skin as I stood watching out from my window, then suddenly I saw a familiar person in the distance. It was Natalia.

I could she see she was holding papers and her face was neither happy nor angry. It was just one of her normal everyday faces as she said hello to the fellow townspeople. My eyes widen as she approached my house and I scampered to my feet, slipping into my slippers.

Running down the stairs, I tried to be discreet as I. I stopped midway of the staircase and hovered over the railing, I watched as Zach opened the door and greet Natalia.

"What do you want?" Zach asked with a look of skepticism.

From what I could see she looked flushed and nervous when she saw Zach, who was still disheveled this morning. She shook her head and cleared her throat, "Is that how you normally greet someone?"

Zach scoffed, "Nah, just you."

She furrowed her brows together and glared at him with displeasure. She quickly changed the subject,
"I just wanted to ask you how Nicole was doing. I know she went out with Asher the other night and well..."

Zach scratched his head, "Hmm...I haven't her seen this morning. She was crying last night but she didn't tell me why."

"Oh...I see..." She raised a hand to her chin. "That explains it."

"Explains what? Did Asher do something?"

Natalia took a while to answer but when she did, she only smiled. "Of course not. It's just...well."

Zach folded his arms across his chest and raised an eyebrow, "Well..."

"It was about the fair. They went to go get tickets, but they had sold out and Asher tried his best to calm her and the situation down, but..."

Suddenly Zach grew angry, and his face became hot, "I thought I told her to forget about the fair!"

Natalia waved her hands frantically to calm him down, but I saw that he was angry, and I did not want to be anywhere near him. I sat back on the staircase and continue to watch the situation.

"Please don't be mad at her she was only trying too good." Natalia pleaded.

Zach didn't say anything and stood by the door; his fists clenched. He lowered his head and his eyes followed, I did not how angry he would be, and his reaction only sunk my heart. If only I had told him, maybe he would understand. I only wanted to go because I wanted him to see how much fun a festival could be and maybe spend more time with him.

Natalia said a few more words to him and he calmed down. She handed him some papers and departed from our house with a wave and a goodbye. He closed the door and headed towards the staircase in which I ran up the stairs before he could see me.