Five

"So, where are you from?" Rossi asks Reid in an attempt to get to know the man that hasn't spoken a word since the flight here.

Spencer's eyes move from the path they're walking on, to the older agents face.

"Why does it matter?" he asks, wondering what brought the question up.

"It doesnt, I'm just making conversation." Rossi shrugs before taking a larger stride in an attempt to leave Reid in a strop, but with the man being much taller and taking long strides anyway, it doesn't work.

The two men reach the hotel room without speaking another word and Spencer feeling slightly bad about the way he spoke to his co worker earlier.

"David Rossi." both agents turn to find a short stubby man with a round head and shaved hair standing behind them.

"Carter!" Rossi says enthusiastically.

"Long time no see." he smiles before shifting his gaze to meet Reid's frowning face.

The man, Carter, shakes Rossi's hand whilst still looking at Spencer. "And you are?" he asks with an expressionless face.

Reid scans the mans body, noticing the blue uniform and police badge he gathers that the two men must have met on a previous case.

Without answering, he enters the hotel room and instantly runs his eyes over every inch of the room.

"Is he always like that?" Carter asks Rossi with an offensive laugh.

"He just started today, probably finding it a little hard to fit in." Rossi shrugs before following his co worker into the room.

"Smell that?" Spencer asks, turning on the spot to find the source of the calming stench.

He finds a scented candle placed upon the chest of drawers not to far from the bed.

He picks it up and twists it slightly in his fingers, reading the name of the shop the candle was bought from aloud.

"Reid, look at that." Rossi gestures to the underwear still lay on the carpet beside the bed. "Something tells me you wouldn't take off your panties at a business meeting."

Spencer scrunches his nose at the use of the word panties before smirking slightly. "Does Jennifer do that?" he asks.

Rossi looks straight up to Reid's face, a shocked expression covering his features. "JJ is married, so I hope not." he says seriously.

A strange feeling sets in the pit of Spencer's stomach. He'd never been a jealous man, especially over someone he's barely spoken to, but there's just something about the blonde that chased him from the conference room to the bullpen when she sensed he was uncomfortable.

"Exactly, it isn't something you'd do." he states, clearing the smirk from his face and pushing down his eyebrows once more.

***

When arriving back at the police department, Reid and Rossi inform the rest of the team on the multiple things they'd discovered at the crime scene.

"So Jackie took off her underwear?" JJ asks with a small frown.

"Or the unsub did." Rossi sighs as he takes a seat.

"But there were no signs of sexual assault?" Hotch questions, rubbing his temples with his forefingers. "Or penetrative sex." he turns to face the murder board and examines the women who's faces are pinned up.

"Why would these women remove their clothing if they weren't going to have sex?" Carter, Rossi's old friend speaks.

Hotch looks up at the man, a slight frown visible above his eyes. The team don't usually have members of the police department helping them work up a profile, but Rossi insisted James Carter was a good guy.

"Maybe they wasn't there to meet someone, maybe they were just on a little break and were undressing for a shower." JJ states defensively, angry with the man for portraying their female victim as a slut.

Carter rolls his eyes, receiving a glare from Spencer as he looks for reassurance.

"Ok, so the women still have nothing in common but their money and one of them may have been undressing for a shower?" Rossi asks.

"This is absolutely shit." Reid sighs slouching in his seat and staring at the ground, attempting to recall everything he saw at the scene.

Images of messy bed sheets and scented candles zip through his memory. Abandoned underwear and a silk dressing gown.

"What are you thinking kid?" Derek Morgan asks when he enters the room with Prentiss and notices the younger agent in a trance.

Reid looks up to his dark face before standing to look at the murder board, completely ignoring the man's question.

Morgan lifts his arms in the air while opening his mouth, making sure everyone knows that Reid just completely ignored him.

"Pretty boy." he calls, allowing his hands to fall back down at his sides.

"Money, a hotel, loose underware..." Spencer almost chants as he turns to face the team again.