Four

"Mr and Mrs Hault." Morgan reaches out to shake the hand of the man stood before him.

His face is pale, a complete contrast to the dark circles beneath his eyes and his dark, shabby hair. His wife was a little more radiant, but still equally as miserable, covering her own face with a thick layer of makeup.

"I'm Derek Morgan and this is Emily Prentiss, we're from the FBI's behavioural analysis unit and we're-"

"We know who you are." Mr Hault prevents Morgan from finishing his sentence, looking from the ground with a deep frown.

His wife rests her hand across his chest, rubbing it gently and flashing the male agent an apologetic smile.

"We know this must be a hard time for you, but we need you both to think back to the night she-"

"The night she was murdered." Mr Hault interrupts yet another of the sentences the agents tried to say, this time Emily, who meets his eyes.

The man looks down again as he takes a seat beside his wife. "We didn't see her." he says quietly, causing Morgans eyes to also meet his.

"Jackie wasn't staying with us, she was living with a friend." Mr Hault assures the agents.

"And her friend lives in Utah?" Emily asks, thinking they'd found out the reason her parents live in Colarado, but their daughter was found slaughtered in a hotel room, right in the centre of Salt lake city.

"No." Mrs Hault frowns. "And god John, I wish you would stop pretending Jackie was living with a friend." The woman raises her voice and shifts her chair slightly.

Morgan's eyes move straight to the man whose head is bowed and fists are clenching. He briefly makes eye contact with Prentiss, before proceeding to ask the question Mr Hault knew was coming after his wife's outburst.

"She wasn't living with a friend?" the agent finally asks with a frown.

Mr Haults eyes move from his hands to Morgans face, then to the small tear running down his own wife's face.

"No." he says almost too quiet for the agents to hear. "Jackie was living with her girlfriend."

Emily's eye brows raise as she once again makes eye contact with the man beside her.

"She came out just over a year ago, told us she wanted us to be happy with and accept who she is." Mrs Hault speaks up again, resting her hand over her husbands and rubbing small circles over his palm.

"And you didn't?" Morgan asks, frowning again.

"What?" Prentiss notices the woman's body language change, shifting from sadness and grief to anger the minute the words leave her colleagues mouth.

"You didn't accept that your daughter was gay, that's why your husband refuses to speak about it and your daughter no longer contacts you." Morgan states, anger laced through his words.

"She no longer contacts us because she's damn dead." Mr Hault stands and removes his hand from his wife's. "That's all you lot do isn't it? Poke around other peoples business and judge them on the way they live their life."

"No, Mr Hault, we're just here to help." Prentiss stands with him, attempting to calm the man down.

"We don't need your darn help!" he raises his voice and storms from the room, Mrs Hault chases after him, leaving Emily and Derek alone.