Chapter 31

George POV

Time came to a standstill, the world falling into a deathly silence. Blood crept over the floor, yearning to stain his feet with sinful filth.

He'd toppled head first into the dark, and what he saw at the bottom of the abyss was nothing short of a nightmare. Emerald swung to face him, glowing unnaturally in the dark. Two expressions reflected one another in equal horror and shock. 

George's breath hitched, chest squeezing tighter and tighter until he felt sure his heart would burst and his lungs collapse. 

A pair of black horns glittered with emerald, almost as if they'd been painted with green fairy dust. Previously rounded ears now displayed pointed shapes, peeking from messy hair. Dirty blond strands appeared different, and it took him a moment to realize the tips were the lightest of greens.

The face of the one he trusted most was both recognizable and unfamiliar. 

Blood coated Dream's hand, black nails extended from his fingertips in sharp points and curled in thick hair. Wide eyes stared in lifeless terror at George, crimson dripping out the decapitated head and pushing the blood trails closer. 

Dark flesh lurked beneath blood stains, barely visible in the red light. He nearly mistook the bruises for shadows, but when he recognized the man's face as the one who attacked him, he knew in the hollowing of his stomach that he'd been choked before decapitation. 

"We'll have to kill him." A deep voice tore George from his trance, flinching in the direction of the first voice he'd heard in the hall.

Corpse's mismatched irises bore into him without the safety of friendship. If he thought the raven-haired were intimidating before, he'd only had single brush stroke out of the entire painting. The full picture? Petrifying. 

A similar horn curled out his dark locks, this one glimmering with violet hues rather than green. His scarlet eye glowed in normal flesh tones, but the other side of his face darkened and spread across his jaw. The purplish gray skin highlighted his fangs, as if a demon from hell possessed more than half his face.

"No." Dream's iridescent emerald eyes narrowed dangerously, the dead man's head dropping to the floor with a sickening thud. His gaze never left Corpse as he blocked George from sight with his own body. 

Rapidly chilling blood soaked the bandages on the brunette's feet, squishing as he stumbled back on shaking legs. 

"He knows too much, Dream." Corpse took a solitary step in their direction. 

"I swear, if you get so much as five feet near him, I'll fucking kill you." Dream's bloodied hand twitched as if he were considering carrying out that threat now. "I don't care if you're my brother."

You have a brother? 

Twin. We look nothing alike, there isn't two of me. Everything came crashing down over George, hundreds of words and gestures cluttering his head until his ears rang and acid crawled up his throat. He didn't know if he was going to pass out or vomit.

"You've always been such a stubborn pain in the ass. What if he talks?" Corpse countered, unfazed by the threat. "We're fucked if he tells everyone about this."

"George... wouldn't do that." Dream's thunderous tone faltered, revealing a slight vulnerability beneath. A glimpse at his insecurities, the anxiety and uncertainty he wasn't showing. 

Then the darkness returned, and this time his words pointed a sharper blade. "Don't forget, I'm not the only one with a human friend here. If anything happens to George, you know who will suffer."