Chapter 8

George POV

Silence built pressure over his shoulders, ghosts of the electronic voice haunting him. Crimson blurred his vision, the chilling riddle dancing messily across the dry paper in his palms. Light reflected off a sharp blade, cold and untouched. Waiting to be stained with sinful filth. 

Poor little lamb, torn beneath the scarlet blade of those he trusted. 

George raised his lashes, gazing into the eerie red corridor. The thick iron bars blocking their only escape. An answer to the riddle bloomed in the back of his mind, curling cutting thorns around his brain. He shoved hard against his own thoughts, sickened with the very idea. 

"What is it?" Dream snaked an arm around the brunette, snatching the paper to see for himself. 

"Am I the only one freaking out about the knife?" Karl's voice cracked. "Guys, please, tell us what the note says." 

"It's another riddle." Dream pushed the words out through clenched teeth. "'Five white lambs, trapped in a cage. The paper-thin key is a fate willingly chosen. Four red lambs leave the cage. Poor little lamb, torn beneath the scarlet blade of those he trusted.'" 

"Not another fucking riddle." Ocean waves crashed irritation in Skeppy's eyes. "Isn't that similar to, like, the first one we solved?" 

"I don't like this." Sapnap muttered. 

George watched Dream pick up the dagger from the floor, turning the weapon in his palm. He felt as though he were floating in a nightmare, watching events unfold while gears of his mind quietly turned to piece together every scrap of information. 

"This is definitely real." Dream adjusted his grip on the dagger. "It's got a good weight to it." 

"Do you think the riddle has to do with the body?" Karl pondered. "Maybe the key is in her? Like one of those horror movies?" 

"I don't think so." George put in, reluctantly breaking his silence. "There's only one body, and the riddle specifically mentioned five lambs." 

"Wait!" Skeppy gasped. "Five? But wouldn't five be..." 

The player's voice trailed off, and George watched the realization dawn on his face. Shadows snuck over his features, and their gazes met in silent understanding. The ocean blue of Skeppy's eyes darkened into murky waters, and for once the extroverted man fell silent.

"Be what?" Sapnap pressed. "Dude, finish what you were going to say." 

"The first riddle," Dream spoke slowly, and George knew he'd figured it out as well. "A farmer locked five lambs in a cage, it was focused on the action of the farmer. This new one is- it's the action of the lambs." 

Sapnap's gaze flashed between the three of them, and flickered with sudden understanding. "There's five of us." 

"And five lambs." George finished, and tapped his knuckles against the iron bars. "Trapped in a cage." 

"Oh, fucking God." Sapnap tore a hand through his dark hair. 

"So, what, you're saying one of us has to die?!" Karl tugged at his sleeves wildly. "We can't do that!" 

"The answer to the first riddle was the lambs." Skeppy avoided the fluffy brunette's gaze. "The other lambs were the killer." 

Tension radiated from their group, distrust building into a heavy cloud.

Something didn't feel right, harassing George's brain with hot pokers. They were overlooking a crucial piece of information. "Wait, just wait." 

"Please tell us you can prove Skeppy wrong." Karl edged closer, eyeing the brunette hopefully.